• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator mounts for a 73 ?

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:18 PM
Reaction score
Guys, lots of rads out there listing saying they fit 68 thru 73 BB b bodies. The one I ordered does NOT fit the factory mounts on my 73 400ci car. That rad DID fit my 69 and 71 b body just right. Fender tag does say 26 inch. So, do i have something odd or has been replaced or a late production.....thanks

IMG_0354.jpg

73/74 have 28" radiators.

Doubt you'll find an aftermarket one. Best bet is if you can find one with a mounting width that matches what you need. Or get a custom one made.

Oh, and about 90% of the ads saying their products will work for 71-74, are full of ****.

73/74 have 28" radiators.

Doubt you'll find an aftermarket one. Best bet is if you can find one with a mounting width that matches what you need. Or get a custom one made.

Oh, and about 90% of the ads saying their products will work for 71-74, are full of ****.

You are spot on as when I press those aftermarket sellers for their mount dimensions , you know theirs is incorrect for my car. I have found one that SOUNDS correct , but , I will know when its here.....thanks....

You are spot on as when I press those aftermarket sellers for their mount dimensions , you know theirs is incorrect for my car. I have found one that SOUNDS correct , but , I will know when its here.....thanks....
I know when I had the radiator re-cored on my 74 Rallye Charger, it took a larger core than 26". Seems like the guy doing it said 27.5" or it may have been 28". Aftermarket ones will work if you make mounting brackets.
Terry W.

I just went out and measured the core on my 74 and it measures 27.5" wide. Top bolt to bolt is about 31.5"
Terry W.

Funny.

Usually sellers listing stuff that does work until 74 or later say it only works up to 72.

Now this...

If you can tell by my picture, both the top and bottom mounting bolt castle nuts are exactly 30 3/8 inches apart and 6 ⅞ apart vertical wise. My fender tag is indeed stamped 28, for a 28 inch rad. I found a Champion that is listed for a 73-74 only and those dimensions do look correct for a straight bolt in. I let ya know when it gets here. If it doesn't fit, next step will be to fab a bracket.....

Alright, we have a winner. The Champion rad. I received for 73-74s fits the stock mounts perfectly.....YEAH. But sad news for me is now I see the lower rad cradle has been smacked backwards a bit and rad sits cocked. Something I should have noticed and checked prior to paint. But rad fits well and some tweaking is coming. Here is the number if anyone is in need of a 28 inch rad.

IMG_0357.jpg

Alright, we have a winner. The Champion rad. I received for 73-74s fits the stock mounts perfectly.....YEAH. But sad news for me is now I see the lower rad cradle has been smacked backwards a bit and rad sits cocked. Something I should have noticed and checked prior to paint. But rad fits well and some tweaking is coming. Here is the number if anyone is in need of a 28 inch rad.

View attachment 1250185
Thanks alot for the update and info!

Auto Transport Service
Back