• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radio Speakers Impedence

Based on what? Please advise the power levels in Decibels (dBa) and distortion levels at what frequency range being measured. Its NOT a sole function of speaker impedance to device or wire size, or air density, or degrees of spark advance, or ported or manifold vacuum source....and not what is a perceived listening level, but using actual measured figures. Unless of course the methodology used to make the determination is based on the next door neighbor's cousin's sister's husband's best buddy's friend's determination down at the local watering hole on Tuesday...or, how high is up principle.....or not.....just talking out loud....
BOB RENTON
Wow this topic really got to complex for me to handle I’m out and sorry I commented at all. I’m out, have fun people

This is starting to go sideways! Anyway, I bought some 4 ohm speakers through Amazon. Anyone familiar with '63-'64 B-bodies know they have an odd sized front 7" round speaker that is impossible to find. I found a 6 1/2" speaker with an adapter plate that I was able to modify and make it fit. I got a pair of 3" round speakers that I will mount on the " B"-pillars, and a 6" X 9" oval for the package tray. Thanks to everyone for their input.
Glad you found something that works brother. Enjoy your ride and tunes. BeepBeep

It's just car radio, guys....where any good 8--10 ohm speaker load will work safely & sound loud enough & clear on any solid state car radio ...... New radios that allow 4 ohms will play good on 4 & up ohms ....Just not that critical for most apps.....
"Sounds" like (pun intended) that the good 'ole "seat of the pants" engineering principles (my way is the best and only way) out weigh the real principles of sound quality measurements and comparisons. "Just not that critical for most apps.....".....based on what criteria? Please define.....inquiring minds want to know.....
BOB RENTON

I don't think we need to open up the "door Knob" & start counting the germanium "As" dopant atom ppm or even pull out the o-scope or Impedance analyzer for this one...8--10 ohm speakers safely play & sound fine to my ears ..After all it's just vintage grade car radio & the sound is the thing ....As a side,... always thought the 4 x 6, 6 x 9 spkrs kinda strange....I mean, sound is Round,.... isn't it ??

I don't think we need to open up the "door Knob" & start counting the germanium "As" dopant atom ppm or even pull out the o-scope or Impedance analyzer for this one...8--10 ohm speakers safely play & sound fine to my ears ..After all it's just vintage grade car radio & the sound is the thing ....As a side,... always thought the 4 x 6, 6 x 9 spkrs kinda strange....I mean, sound is Round,.... isn't it ??
Sound is neither round, square, or triangular but a complex series of time based, amplitude modulated electronic, or physically generated pulses, that are interpreted by the human ear.....as individually perceived....by the individual. Just talking out loud....
BOB RENTON

1660577488463.png
I'm gonna put this in my car

View attachment 1328850I'm gonna put this in my car
Using all this high performance audio equipment will likely necessitate the revamping of the alternator to a 150 amp unit, minimum, and the associated supply wiring and bulkhead connections, risking the perils of an ammeter gauge bursting into flames or melting down.....or.....oops....wrong thread......
BOB RENTON

Using all this high performance audio equipment will likely necessitate the revamping of the alternator to a 150 amp unit, minimum, and the associated supply wiring and bulkhead connections, risking the perils of an ammeter gauge bursting into flames or melting down.....or.....oops....wrong thread......
BOB RENTON
Holy Crap! Don't get that going again, Bob!

Whewww, glad our Bob is back, that sit on my face post had me real worried....Im better now.

Sound is neither round, square, or triangular but a complex series of time based, amplitude modulated electronic, or physically generated pulses,
BOB RENTON
Much like your responses :rofl:

I do enjoy the read though.

Much like your responses :rofl:

I do enjoy the read though.
Just trying to keep it simple....allbeit similar to the concept of: how high is up or why is there air or which oil is best or........________________ fill in the blank (at your descreshion) with an appropriate euphemism......
BOB RENTON

In keeping it really simple, ... For whatever reasons, ...to my ears 8 ohm Round speakers while not always the loudest volumunit

While not always the loudest playing, usually sound more musical &less distorted natural playing without getting "tired" ears....

Auto Transport Service
Back