• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

raise height of rear of vehicle

the Beast

Local time
11:25 PM
Reaction score
Hi

I have a 1964 dodge 440 4-door sedan. I'd like to raise the height of the rear of the vehicle by a couple inches.
What is the best, cheapest way to do this?

I appreciate any responses.

John

Cheapest? Air shocks or shackles.

Best? Have your leafsprings re-arched with a leaf added or get new springs.

This question should open a can of worms :) Air shocks about $80...shackle extensions about $40 or new springs $? If you don't run to much air personally i don't see anything wrong with air shocks (a lot of people disagree) Shackle extensions i have them, i needed an inch or so for tire clearance. Most people don't like the look. Dosen't bother me, looks old school like something that would have been done back when the car was new. I wasn't about spend the $$ and time to put new springs on for a little lift.

old skool shackles....ebay...40 or so buxx. got em on both my mopars....no problems!

The best and cheapest are never the same.

Best way would be with new springs. I wouldn't throw money at rearching. Rearching does not last unless it is done with heat and that makes it expensive compared to new springs. Rearching was done long ago as a means of repairing springs that may not have been available new.

Cheapest way would be to find some used air shocks. Those are also about the most incorrect way. They essentially render leaf spring suspensions useless since they apply downard pressure to the spring to raise the body. Doing so does not allow the suspension to flex as it should. People have run air shocks for years, but that still does not make it the correct way.

I carry some heavy loads on my 95 'yard cart' Dakota and had some fairly short tires on it....now the rear has 10.50-31's on it. No more dragging the bumper. Oh yeah, that was probably the best AND cheapest way since they were on my Durango and it got a new set of tires so they were essentially free :D

i think the answer to this one is a question.what are you trying to achive?what outcome are you looking for?

Air shocks can jack that crossmember up. I just rearched mine and if they do flatten out over time I'll buy a pair of new ones that already have the arch in them.

Hi

I have a 1964 dodge 440 4-door sedan. I'd like to raise the height of the rear of the vehicle by a couple inches.
What is the best, cheapest way to do this?

If you re arch or add leafs your pinion angle can change and pads need ajustment, etc....you don't want to tromp on the gas and POP a drive shaft.

you might purchase SS springs,etc.

Nothing says old skool like some sweet shackles! Sonny, I hate it when the drive shaft pops out...for some reason the car stops moving. LOL!!!

Taller tires.....New/re-arched springs. Cal-Trac's will raise it an inch or so as well.

This is what air shocks can do to a shock crossmember:

View attachment 105051

worked on a 71 satellite that had those shock extensions like in the pic attached to the shock on the right. Seemed to work. I run air shocks on mine. been on my dads car since I was a little kid and never had any problems.

I have never personally liked shackles. But then again I have a buddy who puts em on everything and sometimes makes some that are WAY to long and gets pretty hairy looking...

got an extra set of coil over shocks new for $60 plus shipping . put a set on my 64 4 door and got 2" and a firmer ride. i added 2" of shackle at the same time cuz i was doing poly bushings on the leafs and had 'em. pm me if your intrested in the shocks with your addi.

Sonny, how do you check and adjust pinion angle? I know what you are referencing, the angle of the pinion shaft to the driveshaft but don't understand how you would adjust it.

Wedges are used to change the angle of the pinion on a leaf spring–equipped car...whom ever rebuild springs can answer that...I had mine rebuild on another car and the "spring People" figured that out.
one time years earlier=( because I added a leaf myself ):iamwithstupid: and learned the hard way......some of you guys remember the "kit" that was available back when'...

so, the proper pinion angle is vital for delivering power safely and effectively to the rear wheels.

Just go with some 35's BFG All Terrain's, lol!! Seriously, rear arched springs or shackles as others have pointed out.

Alot depends on how much you want to raise the car. If you are talking like 2 inches or more then new springs are the way to go. Now when I put new SS springs on my 63 I wanted it about a 1/2" higher in the rear. So I ended up buying these heavy duty Mr Gasket shackles with about 5 holes in them to adjust the height. Well I found the hole to raise it about 1/2" and what I did was cut the shackles off right below the hole I used and then grinded the corners to round them off. Painted them black and installed them with the heavy duty bolts. They look like stock shackles as no one even knows I replaced them. The reason I cut them off is I HATE to se an old muscle car with about 6 inches of shackles hanging down lower then the spring at the rear shackle. No way was that going to be on my car. So I got the ride height I wanted and no one knows they are not stock shackles. Ron

100_0946.jpg

Well, yall do what you want with your own cars. However, I've preached it before and I'll continue to. Longer shackles ain't the way to do it. Not knockin anybody that's done it. But you're increasing the distance between the centerline of the frame pivot point and the rear leaf spring pivot point. Doing so gives more lateral leverage against the unibody frame rail and can cause the frame rail to rip the top shackle mount right out of the frame. It's just not a good idea. I don't care whose done it for 40 years or who sells the shackles.

Well, yall do what you want with your own cars. However, I've preached it before and I'll continue to. Longer shackles ain't the way to do it. Not knockin anybody that's done it. But you're increasing the distance between the centerline of the frame pivot point and the rear leaf spring pivot point. Doing so gives more lateral leverage against the unibody frame rail and can cause the frame rail to rip the top shackle mount right out of the frame. It's just not a good idea. I don't care whose done it for 40 years or who sells the shackles.

Ok Rusty now lets take it easy we are all friends here. Just kidding but I completly understand what you are saying and believe me if it was more then the 1/2" I wanted to raise mine I would have went other ways. I was actually surprised that 3400 lb SS springs did not raise my 63 more.
But we all have our own opinions and of course thats what makes the world go round. But I will stand behind what I did on mine 100% and I also respect your opinion 100%. So I hope we are still good friends even though none of us will always agree 100% with each other. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back