• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raised White Letters

I have used 4 or 5 different brands of whitewall/tire cleaner. Also a soft bristled brush and finally a Scotchbrite disc on a die grinder which is the only thing that worked. Within a couple seeks the letters were brown again. My Swinger was on our event t shirts this year and was going to be on display so I went to Fleet Farm and bought a couple new tires for the rear. (the fronts are a different size and have never discolored) I understand BFG has fixed the issue. We will see. If not at least I have a local dealer to go to for warranty. I didn't get that with Summit who I bought my first set from.

786005-72528459ab08eeecda52e418ba754250.jpg

Carrying this conversation over from a hi jacked sales thread which started discussing the "browning" of the Raised White Letters on the BF Goodrich TA radials.

...Idk where they were made. Had them installed almost 3 years ago in PA, bought locally there while getting some resto work done.. That place is no longer in business. I relocated since and I'm going to a local tire store where the guy said he would check into the situation with his distributor.
I would imagine the stamped numbers should tell the manufacturer the history. They gotta know which numbers were the " bad batch".
Whether or not they make good on them has yet to be determined.
Also ck out post #29 on this A body thread from 2016, when Michelin took over. Going to find out today what the latest is, stay tuned.
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopa...-goodrich-tires.354797/page-2#post-1973061899

Have off brand tires on my car till I get my M/T tires on the car. The front where raised white letter's so the back ones not. I painted those with the pen. May have to touch them up from time to time. So far mine are still looking good. If you need to clean up over paint lacquer thinner worked.

When I bought my car it had 15 year old BFGs on it. and the letters were still quite white. Thus I really wanted a another set of the BFGs . but didnt want to deal with brown letters.
So I pulled the trigger and went redline radials

20210111_121617.jpg redlines-2.jpg

Update:
Called Michelin today, was instructed to go to my local Michelin dealer. Their locator gave me Walmart Auto center (not to buy white out). Lol
The manager there wanted nothing to do with me, so I went to the next local guy on the list. (Black's Tire Center). I had to explain to him that according to Michelin, a case HAS to be started by a local dealer ONLY. They are supposed to inspect the tires and then they contact Michelin.
I helped the guy out by providing tire sizes and DOT stamp #s of the affected tires. Also explained how the tire "leaches" into the white from behind. (I didn't drive the car there, because I just cleaned the white letters the other day). He was receptive and said although he never heard of this before, he was reasonably sure his Michelin rep has. He will call them and get back to me about the next step. ( Gotta love the smaller shops).
That's all I could get done on a hot Friday afternoon.
Keep you posted.

Update:
Called Michelin today, was instructed to go to my local Michelin dealer. Their locator gave me Walmart Auto center (not to buy white out). Lol
The manager there wanted nothing to do with me, so I went to the next local guy on the list. (Black's Tire Center). I had to explain to him that according to Michelin, a case HAS to be started by a local dealer ONLY. They are supposed to inspect the tires and then they contact Michelin.
I helped the guy out by providing tire sizes and DOT stamp #s of the affected tires. Also explained how the tire "leaches" into the white from behind. (I didn't drive the car there, because I just cleaned the white letters the other day). He was receptive and said although he never heard of this before, he was reasonably sure his Michelin rep has. He will call them and get back to me about the next step. ( Gotta love the smaller shops).
That's all I could get done on a hot Friday afternoon.
Keep you posted.
Good luck. Hope you get somewhere. No one in town wanted to deal with me because I didn't buy the tires from them. Oh well. 255-60/15's are ok to have. I have 2 cars and can always sell them to someone that want's blackwall out.

Yea. Thx.
Seems like the hard part is getting a tire guy interested enough to represent your case.

Use to touch up the white letters with paint and a pencil eraser. It work's pretty good. Wall mart has the paint pen's. Just my two cent's. Clean with lacquer thinner before painting.

I appreciate the ideas.
I would touch up if it was rubbed off on a curb or something but
I have a hard time having to paint raised letters that are supposed to be white!

Last edited:
I had success with Bleche-Wite on my BFG’s for nine years. Recently bought some Vitour Galaxy R1 RWL ‘’V” rated tires as an experiment. So far the letters are staying white. Too early for long term use report on the tires, but so far I like them.

Update #2:
Local tire dealer here in NC is working on my issue with Michelin, they asked me to return so they could record the tread depths for my case #.
So far, so good, we will see what happens next.
Shout out to Mike at Black's Tire and Auto in Wilmington, NC for his perseverance.
20210917_124203.jpg

Keep you posted.

Update #2:
Local tire dealer here in NC is working on my issue with Michelin, they asked me to return so they could record the tread depths for my case #.
So far, so good, we will see what happens next.
Shout out to Mike at Black's Tire and Auto in Wilmington, NC for his perseverance.
View attachment 1167656
Keep you posted.
Good luck. Hope you get them replaced.

So a young lady representative from Michelin, contacted Black's Tire rep and decided to offer me a Customer Satisfaction Recall, which would require me to pay half price for replacement tires and require them to take back the original tires in question. She said that was the best she could do.
(IF it was a Safety Recall, it wouldn't cost me anything).
So, I agreed to pay 50% off each tire and pay the shop to mount balance and install 4 tires.
Total price $350, and happy to have
4 brand new Raised WHITE Letter BF Goodrich tires.
No more scrubbing and bleaching.
Case closed!
Thanks all.
20211103_103326.jpg

20211103_215441.jpg

So a young lady representative from Michelin, contacted Black's Tire rep and decided to offer me a Customer Satisfaction Recall, which would require me to pay half price for replacement tires and require them to take back the original tires in question. She said that was the best she could do.
(IF it was a Safety Recall, it wouldn't cost me anything).
So, I agreed to pay 50% off each tire and pay the shop to mount balance and install 4 tires.
Total price $350, and happy to have
4 brand new Raised WHITE Letter BF Goodrich tires.
No more scrubbing and bleaching.
Case closed!
Thanks all.
View attachment 1188813
View attachment 1188816
Good to hear. Your car looks great.

I have used 4 or 5 different brands of whitewall/tire cleaner. Also a soft bristled brush and finally a Scotchbrite disc on a die grinder which is the only thing that worked. Within a couple seeks the letters were brown again. My Swinger was on our event t shirts this year and was going to be on display so I went to Fleet Farm and bought a couple new tires for the rear. (the fronts are a different size and have never discolored) I understand BFG has fixed the issue. We will see. If not at least I have a local dealer to go to for warranty. I didn't get that with Summit who I bought my first set from.

View attachment 1158894
Nope, I'm done screwing around with RWL tires going to the tire shop down the street, and flip the RWL to the inside.

Auto Transport Service
Back