• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rallye Dash Frame - 68-69 differences?

dspur

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:17 AM
Reaction score
In the restoration of my 1969 Super Bee with AC, I had (I thought) concluded that the previous owner (long deceased) simply acquired non AC middle dash pad and covered up the AC vent. I later discovered that the radio, thanks to experts on this forum, is a 1968 (radio is beyond repair). It was not in the car so I thought little of it. Additionally, while rewiring as needed, the ignition switch basically fell apart. As I looked to re-order, I found out the 69 switch is made different so I ordered one. Again I thought this was just pirated perhaps.

However, with the dash out I am starting to test fit some things, including the new 69 switch. It is too large to fit in the hole of the dash frame and I then began to connect the dots. I am wondering now if the entire dash, including the frame, is from a 1968. Before you ask, the correct VIN tag is there, matches engine and trans (4 speed), radiator core support, etc etc.

So.....two questions; 1) other than the opening for the switch, are there any other differences between a 1968 and 1969 rallye dash frame and 2) is there any differences in an AC and non AC car with respect to the dash frame.

While I cannot, yet, be certain the dash frame has been changed it sure looks like it now. My heat AC box does appear original and it has been restored by Original Air. I will be putting AC back in the car.

Any help, advice, direction is appreciated. TIA

For the 69 key cyl diameter is 69 only.

68 is smaller .

As for the ac vents ....I've seen some non air dashes have the ac vent openings. And just covered with the non air pads...some dont.

For the 69 key cyl diameter is 69 only.

68 is smaller .

As for the ac vents ....I've seen some non air dashes have the ac vent openings. And just covered with the non air pads...some dont.
Yes thanks. Mine has the vent openings and if the only difference is that I need to make the hole a bit larger for the 69 switch that is no problem.

Try your dash pad on it?

Yeah seems to fit (ac dash pad with vent).

Easy way to tell if it’s a 68 frame is the 68 is the only year with a lower dash pad, so there would be holes for that. The key switch is different every year, as is the heater control mounting area. The 68 and 69 has the cigarette lighter in the tail trim between the cluster and the glovebox. The 67 is the only one with the twin post radio opening, and the hazard switch in the upper left section above the headlight switch. The wiring harnesses are also different every year because of the key switch, the cigarette lighter location and the hazard switch location. 68 and 69 dashes are relief cut on top under the dash pad, 67 is not. The 68 dash has a unique ashtray due to the lower pad….and I can’t recall other differences offhand.
Huh?? 69 Rally dash has it too... Are you thinking A body??? 67 is completely different on a B body...

The early 68 ashtray is unique but the later ashtray is the same as 69 & they all can be swapped as assemblies..

Far as I'm aware the ignition switch is the only thing that needs to be modified...

Huh?? 69 Rally dash has it too... Are you thinking A body??? 67 is completely different on a B body...

The early 68 ashtray is unique but the later ashtray is the same as 69 & they all can be swapped as assemblies..

Far as I'm aware the ignition switch is the only thing that needs to be modified...
Only difference I am seeing right now is the ignition switch hole

Actually, I thought I was on the A body site talking Barracuda dash’s, sorry for the confusion. I’ll delete that whole comment.

Actually, I thought I was on the A body site talking Barracuda dash’s, sorry for the confusion. I’ll delete that whole comment.
No problem. Always appreciate folks weighing in.

In the restoration of my 1969 Super Bee with AC, I had (I thought) concluded that the previous owner (long deceased) simply acquired non AC middle dash pad and covered up the AC vent. I later discovered that the radio, thanks to experts on this forum, is a 1968 (radio is beyond repair). It was not in the car so I thought little of it. Additionally, while rewiring as needed, the ignition switch basically fell apart. As I looked to re-order, I found out the 69 switch is made different so I ordered one. Again I thought this was just pirated perhaps.

However, with the dash out I am starting to test fit some things, including the new 69 switch. It is too large to fit in the hole of the dash frame and I then began to connect the dots. I am wondering now if the entire dash, including the frame, is from a 1968. Before you ask, the correct VIN tag is there, matches engine and trans (4 speed), radiator core support, etc etc.

So.....two questions; 1) other than the opening for the switch, are there any other differences between a 1968 and 1969 rallye dash frame and 2) is there any differences in an AC and non AC car with respect to the dash frame.

While I cannot, yet, be certain the dash frame has been changed it sure looks like it now. My heat AC box does appear original and it has been restored by Original Air. I will be putting AC back in the car.

Any help, advice, direction is appreciated. TIA
Now I am wondering, since my Bee does not have headrests, I am assuming it was built prior to Jan 1, 1969. Given that it appears at least plausible that the 1968 dash frame and switch were used as well but ‍who knows? Doesn’t really matter as long as I can make it work.

Auto Transport Service
Back