• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Order of Installation- Dash, Hear A/C Box etc

dspur

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
69 Bee 4 speed with factory air

For those experienced in replacing the entire interior I am looking for advice based on your experience I now have my dash frame and other metal parts painted the correct Baltic Blue Suede (mixed by Instrument Specialties) and am getting ready to assemble on the bench.

The instrument cluster including tic tic tach was restored by Auto Instruments. I have either refurbished or new switches, have (mostly) gone through the wiring and repaired, cleaned, replaced as needed and tested for continuity etc. I plan to assemble all that is possible and test everything before installing in car.

I have my completely restored heater A/C box on the bench and ready to go in (and all parts), along with the drivers side vent.

The restored wiper motor, pivots, and complete pedal assembly are all restored and installed. I do have a quality used parking brake assembly to put in next. That is where I am at - see pic.

I do not want to install anything twice if possible, so I would call upon your expertise for the order of assembly.

Still out of the car:

Dash
Heater AC box
Drivers side vent
All dash and defrost vents
Steering column (I am restoring and ready to assembe).
Etc.

I realize the heater ac box goes in before the dash, but are there any of the dash components that cannot or should not go in prior to installing it. Any gotchas that I need to be aware of? Etc etc etc.

TIA

IMG_2473.jpeg

Im in the same boat in about a year. My first is booster,EB pedal then vents,HB and dash last. Will watch to see what everyone says.

I regretted not putting in the a/c first, when I had to do it with the whole dash already installed. Problem was, I had so many electrical problems to solve, I put off restoring the a/c unit until all the electrical problems were fixed. Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
Headliner
Firewall insulation.
E/parking brake
Pedal assembly and booster/master.
Drivers side vent stack
Wiper pivots and assembly
Heater box assembly
Dash

Headliner
Firewall insulation.
E/parking brake
Pedal assembly and booster/master.
Drivers side vent stack
Wiper pivots and assembly
Heater box assembly
Dash
Thanks, I'll add the steering column last.

I had mine running before I even had the column installed...
I may do that, engine was rebuilt and running before I removed the dash and heat a/c box, so should be good. When I removed those, I discovered everything had to be rebuilt / restored, wiper pivots (and motor) pedal assembly, during which I discovered the clutch push rod / shaft was cracked. Steering column had lots of corrosion, which has been repaired, restored but I still need to reassemble. Did not expect all this but when done at least I can have confidence that all is as good as new... truly appreciate your posts, you have provided lots of info that I have followed these past 2-3 years.

Its possible to install everything in with dash installed already but its pain, i did it because I didnt have everything ready at the same time and no room to store dash elsewhere. However if you have big hands or are fatso might not workout this way

Auto Transport Service
Back