• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ram truck SLT to SRT in 329 easy steps!

Needless to say, I spent time in the dumpster along with other items that cleared warranty but they didn't want back. I scored several transmissions, 42rh/46rh/47rh/nv4500's/t56/g56 plus some engines.
The company I worked for frowned on dumpster diving. Said the property in the dumpsters belonged to them....
The guys may have been lying dipshits but I can't prove it. One had a mullet so it is quite possible.
Hey, I resemble that remark! Well, did until about a month or so ago....
I thought hard about de chroming my 94 Ram but the chrome looks pretty good on the dark blue paint. View attachment 1500848
The chrome on my red 97 still looks good and so do the Hummer H2 chrome wheels but the red paint doesn't look so good on the top anymore. I installed the wheels around 05....and the tires still look new from back then too lol
If I’m not mistaken, I think the diesel trucks came with rear sway bars. If they did, I’m curious if they’re beefier than 1/2 ton trucks
My 97 diesel doesn't have a rear bar....
The 1500 series is what we used to call a 1/2 ton and used a Chrysler built 9 1/4” axle except for the SRT 10 models that supposedly used a Dana 60.
The 2500 and 3500 series used a much heavier axle made by some outside supplier. The frames are the same width but
They are probably taller for greater load capacity. The sway bars on those may be adapted to a lighter duty truck. I have not checked.
2500 Diesels came with the Dana 70 and the bigger trucks had the D80 but don't know how long that kept up.

Yeah...I figured that with 10 pieces of cladding, the front bumper cover, the grille and insert, the hood scoop, rear bumper, all the sanding strokes to scuff it all so the paint will stick....329 steps may be a LOW estimate!

In an UNrelated nugget, I've been dealing with a few issues that occur with high mile trucks.
At over 397,000 miles, I expect some things to be ready for replacement. For awhile, I was dealing with the persistent MIL codes.
Many people use the term Check Engine light but that is a GM & Chevrolet term.
In Dodge world, the MIL stands for Malfunction Indicator Light.
I changed a coil pack when the MIL sent a code for Cyl #6 misfire. The occasional rough idle went away.
Then it sent a code for right bank too lean so I changed the fuel injectors. Each time I'd clear the code and another would pop up a few days later. The idle would alternate between slightly rough to smooth as stock.
I got a code for the RH upstream O2 sensor, so I bought a pair. Check out what the old ones looked like!

Top is the LH sensor, middle is the RH one, bottom is new.
MIL 5.JPG

Strange, huh? The barrel below the threads are shredded.

With the new sensors in place, it idles great, has more power, gets a little better mileage and puts out NO codes!

Score!

Some years ago I read in an automotive repair trade publication that they recommended replacing the various sensors at around 100k. O2, Coolant temp sensor, Temp sensor[ they are different], Crank/Cam, TPS etc. Your O2 shows just how wide of parameters it will compensate for and still run.

Back to it.
I'm in a place that I never thought I'd be.
I never thought I'd be in a spot where my daily driver is old enough to see in the self serve junkyards.
I have decided that I want a spare rear bumper to paint and swap along with another hood scoop. I was also interested in taillight lenses and other trinkets that may be in better condition than what I have.
I was at 6 different junkyards yesterday....the self serve yards that cater to cars and trucks that are 10 or more years old.
I saw maybe 22-25 2002-2008 trucks and not a single one had a decent rear bumper. How can that be? Several were missing from the trucks, maybe those were nice enough that someone already beat me to it.
I can't believe how beat up and abused some of these trucks were. My truck could use a good deep cleaning but it is complete. Most of these trucks looked like they were stolen and thrashed, maybe even owned by scummy people with no pride...
The last yard I went to closed at 5:00 and wouldn't let me even walk the yard...it was 4:30 and they don't allow people in within 30 minutes of closing.
I drove almost 90 minutes to get there and got nothing.
I went back there this morning.
They have an online inventory that isn't always 100% accurate. One thing that helps is that they list the date the vehicle is set in the yard. The closer the date is to today, the better chance that it is still in the yard.

This was on the list:

1706493285683-png.png

I wanted the hood scoop. My truck has one but I wanted a spare to paint and swap when I do the rest of the SRT stuff.

r2-6-jpg.jpg

I walked up on this:

r2-120-jpg.jpg

They had another black truck, but...

r2-121-jpg.jpg

The trucks there had trashed bumpers and wrong year taillights.
Ah well, on to the NEXT yard...

Last edited:
Yard #2 was smaller and off the beaten path but had ONE truck that had some great parts left.
I got this bumper...

r2-125-jpg.jpg

r2-126-jpg.jpg

Only one tiny ding in a place that will get hidden by the corner of the right rear SRT cladding piece.

r2-124-jpg.jpg

r2-63-jpg.jpg

This bumper is otherwise straight. I'll sand blast and prime the chrome. It will get painted and cleared to match the body.
I also got this tailgate...

r2-128-jpg.jpg

r2-127-jpg.jpg

There is the two sided tape residue from the SLT emblem. I'll clean that off. I'm not sure if I'll add my own SRT emblem.

r2-129-jpg.jpg

The back side was coated with that spray in bedliner stuff.

r2-131-jpg.jpg

It is still in great shape. I'll prime and paint this and swap it in and save the original for a spare. The original has a few dings...

r2-20-jpg.jpg

r2-17-jpg.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back