• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raw fenders what to prime it with?

Well the fenders are in the house,I will go to HF this weekend and get a gun and spray them with some Epoxy. Will they be ok sitting raw for 4 days in the house? So I need to scuff them before I spray them and wipe them down. Can I use denature alcohol to wipe them down? Thanks for the help guys. I do plan on buying a larger compressor to work on the car.

will this gun do and how much pressure.

CENTRAL PNEUMATIC

20 oz. HVLP Gravity Feed Air Spray Gun with Regulator​

62381_W3.jpg

That gun will work just fine. I like to run 30-35psi at the gun. For cleaning the bare metal I would get some reducer thats compatable with the epoxy your buying from the same supplier. Soak a rag, wipe it down and follow up with a clean dry rag. Once it flashes off spray the epoxy. You can also reduce the epoxy in the future with it to use as a sealer before paint.

That gun will work just fine. I like to run 30-35psi at the gun. For cleaning the bare metal I would get some reducer thats compatable with the epoxy your buying from the same supplier. Soak a rag, wipe it down and follow up with a clean dry rag. Once it flashes off spray the epoxy. You can also reduce the epoxy in the future with it to use as a sealer before paint.

But do not use a microfiber!!! The solvents attack the material and contaminate the surface. Clean cotton or paper towel

But do not use a microfiber!!! The solvents attack the material and contaminate the surface. Clean cotton or paper towel
Agree. I have a pile of old white t-shirts I cut up for rags.

do I use the reducer to clean the gun out? Can I use laquar thinner to clean the gun?

Got the fenders sand blasted and need to do metal work. So I need to prime them before they start to rust. What can I use that I can end up putting epoxy on them when I go to paint it. This will be my first car I have ever painted. Can I just use a rattle can from Napa?
I apply epoxy primer. Some say it’s hard to sand but I didn’t have a problem with the Eastwood stuff. Only no-no is putting self etching primer under filler. That creates a problem at the beginning.

I have always used lacquer thinner to clean my paint guns.

Since I still have to do metal work on the fenders, just 1 coat?

Yes, 1 coat is good as long as you get one good coat. Since your new to all this focus on spraying, primer is good practice. If you get one good coat you’re done. If you see thin spots or it doesn’t look even, lay down a second coat.

Where‘s your respirator? Epoxy is nasty stuff to breathe. 3M has cheap disposables that you can use for awhile.

Clean up with lacquer thinner.

Yes, 1 coat is good as long as you get one good coat. Since your new to all this focus on spraying, primer is good practice. If you get one good coat you’re done. If you see thin spots or it doesn’t look even, lay down a second coat.

Where‘s your respirator? Epoxy is nasty stuff to breathe. 3M has cheap disposables that you can use for awhile.

Clean up with lacquer thinner.
Yep got my 3m respirator, I spray laquer under coater on trim in the houses I paint. .

If you use epoxy be sure to sand the fenders with 180 or a little coarser grit sandpaper. With epoxy, you have to rough the surface to create a "mechanical" bond to the surface. If you use a self-etch or DTM (Direct to Metal) primer like DP90, it creates a chemical bond and the sanding is not required. Either way, make sure your metal is rust-free and clean before spraying. Either way you go you your fenders will be sealed until you're ready to proceed with your high build primer, sealer (optional), color.

If you use epoxy be sure to sand the fenders with 180 or a little coarser grit sandpaper. With epoxy, you have to rough the surface to create a "mechanical" bond to the surface. If you use a self-etch or DTM (Direct to Metal) primer like DP90, it creates a chemical bond and the sanding is not required. Either way, make sure your metal is rust-free and clean before spraying. Either way you go you your fenders will be sealed until you're ready to proceed with your high build primer, sealer (optional), color.
DP90 is epoxy.

Since I still have to do metal work on the fenders, just 1 coat?
Yes, one coat is fine as long as you get even coverage. Good choice on the Omni epoxy. It is a very good product. You can reduce it a bit to spray easier too. PPG recommends acetone.

Disassemble that new gun and clean it before first time use. Just sucking thinner through it may not be sufficient . They put some kind of corrosion retardant in it and it will fisheye like the Blazes if you don't.

Regardless of what gun you buy (the HF guns work just fine for a back yard job) take the WHOLE gun apart and clean EVERYTHING in lacquer thinner - BEFORE you ever put paint in it. If you see anything like silicone or grease inside or on any part, get it off. If the gun isn't spotlessly clean it will ruin your day !!!

Acetone is fine for cleaning up bondo but an unnecessary expense for cleaning a gun. Lacquer thinner works just fine.

Final tip ... it will take you longer to clean up after painting that the rest of the process combined. So before you mix paint and pour it into the cup, make damn sure you've got enough painting to do to make it worthwhile. Its like Christmas dinner - takes a half hour to eat and four hours to clean up afterwards !!

Auto Transport Service
Back