• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RB 440 blower motor

I ran a Paxton Years back and it worked pritty good on the SB Ford I had it on. I just wanted a killer pro street 440 in the car as I have been doing alot of custom work to it. I never had one and thought what the hell this is probly the last runner I will buld so why not try it.
Not looking to run Pro stock or drag it if any. Just wanted the feel of a blower motor. I understand where you guys are comeing from as I am a Pure Racer from the adge of 12. and at 52 have raced and won just about everthing that runs on dirt and turns left. And that being said it Very hard to take the Racer thinking out of the project !!!
But Please keep the info comeing as this is how we Learn !
My point was that from a longevity and drivability standpoint it's hard to be a pro charger with a simple efi setup. Everyone has different ideas on what's drive able for them

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

I hear ya and understand where your at with this. I am not planning on driveing this as much as say a cruser or every weekend car. Just shows and a saturday nite import beater. I like the paxton style for longevity and there boost propertys. Thay are easy on your internels and so on and with a cooler don't put alot of heat in the system.
I am still doing my home work and have alot to consider on the whole deal. Thats why I put it up here so as to see what other guys are running and how its working for them. This way I can look at my plans for the car and what will give me the best Bang for the Buck !
Its a Learning stage rite now and I am still Learning !
Thank you for all your help and please feel free to inlighten me more on your set up and the Pro's and Con's

Ok so I am starting to put together a list of parts here. You guys have a vender you deal with better than others ? I looked at Alkydiggers and Big al's . Big al's sells a dynoed motor complete but its price. BUT if you look at the parts it adds up !
I can do 90% of the work in house but like to know what my brothers are useing !

Turbo > Blower

Lower cost, better performance, greater streetability, easier on parts. If you just want the normal, by all means, spend much more money on a blower setup for far less HP and a power band that is useless for the street. A large, single turbo such as the Borg Warner S475 can make 1,000HP in our application and is in the $600 range. As a large, single turbo is worlds better efficiency wise. Blower has it beat by a mile in looks though, until you open the hood.

Just trying to show an alternate root, good luck on your blower build.

I would do a turbo over a roots blower every day of the week. Especially on a street driven motor. You can have a much more mild cam selection. You can do it on less cubic inches, and you can make more power. As the gentleman above said, it is far more efficient. In fact, with a air to water intercooler, you can get nearly double the horsepower per pound of boost as a roots style

I spent $3,500 in total on my fuel system and S475 turbo build. Car should make upwards of 775HP at 6PSI on 93 pump. 9PSI on meth/water injection will result in upwards of 900HP. Takes a fairly ridiculous blower combination to make these numbers, and the heat generated would be phenomenal. Cost would be upwards of $7,000-$8,000 easily for a blown application. Since I run a rear mount turbo, no intercooler is necessary and a carburetor also has a certain 'intercooling' effect over fuel injection. The guy selling the centrifugal s/c kit on here would be a great alternative, you can make very good street power with that setup.

Turbo > Blower

Lower cost, better performance, greater streetability, easier on parts. If you just want the normal, by all means, spend much more money on a blower setup for far less HP and a power band that is useless for the street. A large, single turbo such as the Borg Warner S475 can make 1,000HP in our application and is in the $600 range. As a large, single turbo is worlds better efficiency wise. Blower has it beat by a mile in looks though, until you open the hood.

Just trying to show an alternate root, good luck on your blower build.

Thanks for your input but I work on truck turbos all the time and Yes there a great power adder for sure. Just not what I am looking for. I have two paxton units I could use but there again I Never buld or ran a blower so I want to try one. Like a Bucket list thing ! LOL!!

I spent $3,500 in total on my fuel system and S475 turbo build. Car should make upwards of 775HP at 6PSI on 93 pump. 9PSI on meth/water injection will result in upwards of 900HP. Takes a fairly ridiculous blower combination to make these numbers, and the heat generated would be phenomenal. Cost would be upwards of $7,000-$8,000 easily for a blown application. Since I run a rear mount turbo, no intercooler is necessary and a carburetor also has a certain 'intercooling' effect over fuel injection. The guy selling the centrifugal s/c kit on here would be a great alternative, you can make very good street power with that setup.

Im putting together a pump gas blown hemi with an 8-71 set up to make 5 psi with a static compression of 9.5 to 1. BDS calculated 900hp neighborhood.

That sound like a nice set up for sure. I want t a 440 wedge motor and from what I am being told go with a 871 over a 671 due to not haveing to turn it as hard so as to save heat !

That sound like a nice set up for sure. I want t a 440 wedge motor and from what I am being told go with a 871 over a 671 due to not haveing to turn it as hard so as to save heat !

Don't be afraid to think bigger. If I could go back I would do a 10-71. Wanna buy an 8-71? Lol

I am planning on it. The intake is the money ticket !!
I just looked at two Kits and it's $4500. to $5525. for a New 871.
Thats No carbs .

I've done it both ways, In my experience the best kit for a street/strip combo/RB wedge was BDS manifold "The Blower Shop" kit {Al's Blower drives}, when Al Hoffman was still alive RIP Al, but that was probably 15 years ago now... all my others were Mert Littlefield race stuff no accessories {Mert gone now too RIP Mert}or PSI Screw Blowers... www.alsblowers.com/theblowershop/ {sorry wrong web address New Zealand, they are almost the same products USA www.the blowershop.com/} about halfway down the page, a few options in size & case styles $6k-$8k+ they ain't no SBC kit that's for damn sure...

Hampton Blowers are also a good choice they are from Downey Calif. , www.hamptonblowers.com

www.littlefieldblowers.com/

There's also The Blowershop www.theblowershop.com/ now in Simi Valley Calif., I'd suggest calling them 1-805-581-1441, tell them what exactly your doing... Some of the places sell refurbished blowers too can save a few buck if your not looking for the biggest baddest blower in town, especially for the visual effects on the street, 750hp easily, even with a MILD 8-71, if it's set up properly, there's little to no extra under-hood heat, it's more than likely an improper/inadaqate fuel system {lean} & poor tuning, poor ignition tuning &/or poor cooling system, cheap headers, for allot of the added compression/boosts levels, that causes most of the heat issues, not usually the roots blowers... if you run Methanol/alcohol {wood base alcohol} it will run extremely cool & almost hard to get upto heat especially with a good cooling system, it will literally frost up the blower & hat until it's completely warmed up, there are downsides to the Methanol thou {consumes allot more fuel thou, like 70% more, eats none anodized aluminum, old style obsolete "pure rubber" seals, also can dilute the oil, wash your cylinders down, if you run allot of fuel thru the system... but will give you some added power too, if it's tuned & maintained properly, for the proper type fuel}... or even E-85 or other Ethanol {grain based alcohol blends}, it will still have a slight cooling effect... there are also water/air coolers for roots style setup too, if you choose to go that route... there's far more than one way to skin a cat... sorry in "the original post above" alsblowers site is a New Zealand supplier, I posted the wrong address, I have them on top of each other & didn't proof read it... DOOGH

regardless of the site, they do sell BB wedge stuff... you could piece together a set-up too, save a few $$$, shop around...

like most places today they do allot of Chevy stuff, so the sites are catering to that crowd, like normal

$3,500-$5,000 for a complete turbo setup with carb/900HP pump 93/meth injection kit with a lil' 451ci Wedge > $7,000-$9,000 for a complete 8-71 blower setup with carbs/900HP pump 93/ with a big' Hemi... Doesn't seem logical to me, but that isn't for me to decide.

*Complete meaning all parts required to operate turbo or blower reliably. This means BTM, A1000 fuel pump(s), large forward and return lines, etc. The little things add up.

CSU makes great E85 carbs. Expect to use a substantial amount more per/ mile than dino' fuel. Will build the power you want though, but so will Methanol Injection which is fairly inexpensive and straight forward and operates automatically with boost levels via Hobbs switch.

I like blowers, but realistically, turbo setups are more efficient and produce much more power for your dollar. Blower setups are a dime-a-dozen as well, and every chevy fanboy has one now. Just not for me, but may be for you.

$3,500-$5,000 for a complete turbo setup with carb/900HP pump 93/meth injection kit with a lil' 451ci Wedge > $7,000-$9,000 for a complete 8-71 blower setup with carbs/900HP pump 93/ with a big' Hemi... Doesn't seem logical to me, but that isn't for me to decide.

*Complete meaning all parts required to operate turbo or blower reliably. This means BTM, A1000 fuel pump(s), large forward and return lines, etc. The little things add up.

CSU makes great E85 carbs. Expect to use a substantial amount more per/ mile than dino' fuel. Will build the power you want though, but so will Methanol Injection which is fairly inexpensive and straight forward and operates automatically with boost levels via Hobbs switch.

I like blowers, but realistically, turbo setups are more efficient and produce much more power for your dollar. Blower setups are a dime-a-dozen as well, and every chevy fanboy has one now. Just not for me, but may be for you.

If blower setups are a dime a dozen why did you price them at 2 to 4 thousand above a turbo setup. I dont know about where you live, but everything around here has a turbo. Rare is the old school huffer.I dont know what the big deal is here. Its a matter of preference and the OP wants a blower. I want a blower. I like turbos too. Besides mopars I also play with Saabs. They are fun little turbo cars that can be built cheap and make good power. My next mopar build is probably gonna have a 5.7 hemi with a pair of worked td05h saab turbos on it. I have the hemi and saab parts easy to get. So just lay off. I mean, by your logic we should all just dump these dinosaurs we drive and buy modern cars cause it makes more sense to get as much or more hp with better fuel efficiency.

Boost is where it's at. You need to decide what look you want to go with it.If it's just a street toy and gunna be raced that the look is what you need to decide.:yes:

Attachments

• IMG_1850.jpg
    IMG_1850.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 217
  • 998060_10201617094408642_433853927_n.jpg
    998060_10201617094408642_433853927_n.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 7.15.12 (15).jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 3.29.13 012.jpg
    3.29.13 012.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 210
Nice set up ! What for boost you running and how is its street manners ?

I love blowers, even know theres better ways to go fast. you gotta admit that something like this will always be cool! Build your dream....

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 220
It just come down to what you want. Blowers sound awesome especially with a good pope to the cam but then it takes power to make power. Turbo your just using the natural energy from an engine to make more power. For my next build I was going to go with a blower but after playing with a bigger turbo on my set4 neon just a 61mm I'm going with a twin turbo.
Hemi rebel wouldn't those turbo's be kinda small for a 5.7L? I know most kits come with minimum of 50mm or 60mm. The td05 is the same turbo that came on the srt4 neon good for a 4 cylinder but way small for a v8 even with a pair of them. Just my .02

Turbo cars are harder to stage, than a blown car, if you thinking of making a race car, if you want to leave on boost & especially if it's on kill... Other than that IMO there's no really big disadvantages, to either... Here's a few food for thought items... If your on a tighter budget, you can save money & swap meet purchase either one, I've seen allot more cheap {usually probably because they're worn out} turbo stuff lately, than cheap {usually probably worn out} Roots or Centrifugal Blower stuff too... I've never seen a cheap boosted engine of any kind, last for any period of time, with a centrifugal or roots supercharger or let alone a turbo... none are cheap set up done correctly, used or new.... Turbos can create a ton of under-hood heat also, you can use shields or coolers to alleviate some of that heat... for a turbo combo; You will need to fab up a custom exhaust manifolds & system there's no bolt on stuff for any MoPars, or possibly a custom set of headers {that could be a chore & costly too}, you will need to fab up cold outside air inlet tubes also {have room for the routing of the air inlet tubes also, could be an issue with a tight engine bay, with accessories etc.}, if you don't want hot under-hood heat going thru the intake, causing loss of power or detonation issues... If you want a turbo to live, you need to keep the turbo spool bearing cool with a constant supply of oil & a way to cool it back down/oil cooler... IMO it's a must to have an Inner-Cooler with a turbo set-up too, to cool the air charge, or your just putting a hot exhaust heated charge of air into the motor, the size & were it's mounted can effect turbo lag too... a waste-gate/purge valve to get rid of boost when you let off the throttle on/after hard blasts is a good idea too & to make sure your not building more boost that your combo is capable of handling, ultimately grenade-ing the bottom end... Like I've said before, everything needs to match what your doing, neither of the 3 is a out of the box & go run it deal {unless you spend the money & buy a complete kit from a reputable supplier, either still will need tuning & ignition upgrades & boost-retard is a great idea}, even with an EFI set-up & that ain't cheap, unless you have the knowledge, fab skill & computer/electronics skills... or the ability to make your own stuff, especially on an old style V-8 especially a MoPar there's nothing out there, but it can be done... just do your due diligence/research... have fun, there's nothing like a boosted combo as long as it's done correctly, otherwise you'll hate it... I may add another point blowers make power from idle thru "what ever RPM your specific combo" can withstand, you don't need to spool a blower to make power it's always there, but it takes some power to drive the belt... Either one will benefit from water/methanol injection {windshield washer fluid too} &/or inner-cooling.... Either of the 3 is impressive when done correctly, especially for a visual impact, Just weight your likes & dislikes, have fun what ever you decide & keep us posted on progress.... my $0.02 cents

Auto Transport Service
Back