• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RB 440 blower motor

wedge69

Local time
2:35 PM
Reaction score
Any of you guys buld a Pro street 440 blower motor ?
Looking into it for my project and like to get some input. Would love to run an EFI unit also but carbs are fine also.
Looking to put a 4 speed behind it .
Any input would be great.
Thanks
Tj

what is it your trying to do ?? what kind size & type of Blower a Centrifugal or Roots or Screw type blower ?? how much boost ?? what kind of drive system ?? I've ran a bunch of Blower Combos, never a EFI but did run mech. FI allot, Carbs & linkages are pretty easy... recommendations will be based on what you expect & what your ultimate goal is, how it will be used ??, do you want it bullet proof & to last ?? what kind of budget do you have ?? they aren't cheap, you can't skimp & expect them to last, what kind of knowledge base do you have ?? what kind of tools or access to them do you have ??... camshafts/valve-train, heads, deck & head surfaces O-rings & head gaskets, rods, bearing, pistons - especially materials/compression style/shape of the piston design, type of rings, what type cooling system & drive {blower engines can produce allot of heat}, induction system, fuel systems, pupms reg.s etc., ignition systems wires & coil, are all basically boost specific... your drivetrain will need to be beefed up too for the added HP/TQ that it will endure after a Blower too... the bottom end must be bullet proof, if you plan on running any real boost & it lasting any period of time... I would highly suggest you by some books on Blowers & the type of system your thinking of using, Boost & it's effects & how or what &/or why you need to do certain things... There are books out there do a Google search for books about Blowers or How to Build a Blower Engine... good luck

Attachments

• Holley SA Design Super Tuning Book sad-sa08_w.jpg
    Holley SA Design Super Tuning Book sad-sa08_w.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 753
  • How to Build Mopar Big Block #3.jpg
    How to Build Mopar Big Block #3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 752
  • How to Air Flow & How to get it, for cylinder heads #1.jpg
    How to Air Flow & How to get it, for cylinder heads #1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 756
  • How To Build Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook.jpg
    How To Build Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 721
  • How to Build Racing Engine Builders Handbook.jpg
    How to Build Racing Engine Builders Handbook.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 716
  • How to Engine Blueprinting handbook.jpg
    How to Engine Blueprinting handbook.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 706
  • How to Fuel Injection Systems SA Books.jpg
    How to Fuel Injection Systems SA Books.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 709
  • How to Performance Fuel Injection book #1.jpg
    How to Performance Fuel Injection book #1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 699
  • How To Engine Management Tuning book.jpg
    How To Engine Management Tuning book.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 699
  • How to Port & Flow test cylinder heads.jpg
    How to Port & Flow test cylinder heads.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 701
I have ran injection on my race cars (mech) for years. I have a Machine shop upbringing and own my own fab shop. Also my brother owns a machine shop with a dyno and he bulds custome set ups like a 351 Clevor and a Blown Flat head with injection . Plan on running a very stout bottum end with around 8.5 compression. Aluminume heads and roller cam system. Good oiling system also !
Not sure on boost yet and I was looking into an 8/71 root blower. Also thinking of useing a srtip vain type ? I want a street bruser and my chassis is already on its way to handle the extra ponys. At 52 I have been in this for some time and have had most of them but never had a Blown big block. Use to run a Paxton years ago on a ford come ti think of it !
Just looking for your guys combos so I can put it together in my head. There are plenty of parts for sale but on a budget I like to get what I need not what extra parts I won't use !
Thanks for your input and I have most of those books and more.

I have ran injection on my race cars (mech) for years. I have a Machine shop upbringing and own my own fab shop. Also my brother owns a machine shop with a dyno and he bulds custome set ups like a 351 Clevor and a Blown Flat head with injection . Plan on running a very stout bottum end with around 8.5 compression. Aluminume heads and roller cam system. Good oiling system also !
Not sure on boost yet and I was looking into an 8/71 root blower. Also thinking of useing a srtip vain type ? I want a street bruser and my chassis is already on its way to handle the extra ponys. At 52 I have been in this for some time and have had most of them but never had a Blown big block. Use to run a Paxton years ago on a ford come ti think of it !
Just looking for your guys combos so I can put it together in my head. There are plenty of parts for sale but on a budget I like to get what I need not what extra parts I won't use !
Thanks for your input and I have most of those books and more.

That Ford wasn't a maverick was it? I remember a maverick about 20 years or so ago that had a supercharger on it. Where I grew up in Westminster. Just south of the border from where you sre now.

I would talk to whomever you get the blower from before you start. I got mine from BDS and they were a very helpful with technical knowledge. Obviously. See what your guy says first before you buy anything else.

NO it was a 67 mustang. And I grew up in westminster !!
I ran mostly 69 stangs but had a real nice 64 falcon for years there also !!
I was thinking on those lines also and I am looking to talk to Big AL who owns Big al,s toy box. He dose nothing but Blowers !
Very nice guy as I have talked with him on and off for years at Carlisle swap meet.
His web sit is also good to read.
I am looking to see what guys have done with there RB set up's as There info is a good place to start.

I've run a blown SB for over 25 years. It runs 12PSI, 30 degrees timing, 8-1, home ported Iron heads, 4.30 gear, 3890 lbs. Drive any where, 11.0@122. You don't need much. We also ran a blown (8-71) 69 GTX. It's a nice ladder bar car w/ trans brake, 3000 lbs w/driver. All stock 440 excpt the following mods. TRW forged pistons, Eagle rods, .557 Mopar cam (terrible choice). This coupled with 906 stock port heads featuring the worst valve job I've ever seen went 5.80@117 on alcohol.
Doug

Attachments

• milan volare.jpg
    milan volare.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 701
Just picked up the december issue of mopar muscle. The theme for the month is cars with blowers. Check it out, you might get a few ideas there

I have a rb procharged engine. I use the fast xfi fuel management system. Custom built brackets.
THe supercharger store has a setup that uses a bb chevy mounts and a custom adapter.

EFI is a great way to goes especially if you run street strip but it isnt cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

Feel free to ask any questions

Been looking at shops who sell complete kits or motors. So far all within a few bucks. Did you guys use a complete kit or one part at a time ?
Its the little things that add up ! So complete set up seams a good choice.
Also what is a good head to use with this ? I would think one with a good open chamber that flows well after some port work. Look to Aluminum . The Huffer is easy but the intake is the catch as I see so far.

I've done it both ways, In my experience the best kit for a street/strip combo/RB wedge was BDS manifold "The Blower Shop" kit {Al's Blower drives}, when Al Hoffman was still alive RIP Al, but that was probably 15 years ago now... all my others were Mert Littlefield race stuff no accessories {Mert gone now too RIP Mert}or PSI Screw Blowers... www.alsblowers.com/theblowershop/ about halfway down the page, a few options in size & case styles $6k-$8k+ they ain't no SBC kit that's for damn sure...

- - - Updated - - -

Hampton Blowers are also a good choice they are from Downey Calif. , www.hamptonblowers.com

- - - Updated - - -

www.littlefieldblowers.com/

You can actually do EFI for a lot less than you think. I would never build another motor of any kind without putting EFI on it. I tune EFI cars so I am kind of biased. You can almost put a new EFI setup together for what it costs to buy a nice carb, CD box, and billet distributor

As far as the blower goes, big roots blowers are garbage, they are giant heat soaks on top of the engine. Look at the procharger and vortech kits. Run an intercooler behind the grill or under the front bumper.

You can actually do EFI for a lot less than you think. I would never build another motor of any kind without putting EFI on it. I tune EFI cars so I am kind of biased. You can almost put a new EFI setup together for what it costs to buy a nice carb, CD box, and billet distributor

As far as the blower goes, big roots blowers are garbage, they are giant heat soaks on top of the engine. Look at the procharger and vortech kits. Run an intercooler behind the grill or under the front bumper.

Garbage? Not quite. Set up properly you will make serious power. The key is to not make it work hard. Running a 6-71 on a 440 and making 12 psi requires spinning the hell out of it which generates a lot of heat. This is why I said call and talk to the blower experts you plan to buy from. See what they say about running an 8-71 or 10-71 at 5 psi with a higher static compression. The blower will not generate as much heat that way.

Ask hemi-itis if roots blowers are garbage.

Very good info ! this is what I am looking for ! And I am planning on talking to the bulders of these. Just need to do more home work .

Garbage? Not quite. Set up properly you will make serious power. The key is to not make it work hard. Running a 6-71 on a 440 and making 12 psi requires spinning the hell out of it which generates a lot of heat. This is why I said call and talk to the blower experts you plan to buy from. See what they say about running an 8-71 or 10-71 at 5 psi with a higher static compression. The blower will not generate as much heat that way.

Ask hemi-itis if roots blowers are garbage.
The key to making power and not stressing engine components is incoming air temps.

I repeat my previous statement. Roots style blowers (especially in hot climates) are garbage. They aren't consistent in different elevations, they don't make the same power year round in hot states (far more variance than turbos or centrifugal ) and they store tremendous amounts of heat on top of the motor.

Now, the modern styles with inter coolers in them combined with efi can be significantly better, but that depends on the effort put into to the cooling system for the blower.

I tune 5,6,700 wheel horsepower street cars all the time. Incoming air temps, precise fueling, and appropriate timing is the key to longevity on a blown street motor.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

I will agree that the roots style are less efficient, but junk?. It depends on what you want. Power or looks? We run a N/A , roots, and turbo cars. They all have their merits. I can tell you that we have 3 street cars, approximately 450HP, 600HP, and 750 HP. The later 2 black track until high gear with drag radials on the street from a 40-50 mph roll. From a dead stop they are useless.
How much power do you need?
Doug

I will agree that the roots style are less efficient, but junk?. It depends on what you want. Power or looks? We run a N/A , roots, and turbo cars. They all have their merits. I can tell you that we have 3 street cars, approximately 450HP, 600HP, and 750 HP. The later 2 black track until high gear with drag radials on the street from a 40-50 mph roll. From a dead stop they are useless.
How much power do you need?
Doug
I agree. The premise was he wanted a street motor. On the street roots blower heat soak like madness. More than about 500 on the street is a waste unless you have great suspension and a lot of tire. You can do an exceptionally mild, small motor, with a very small efi grind cam that idles nicely, tunes easily, and get really decent mileage. You can even control wheel spin with traction control on the efi setups. The turbo cars you can stagger in boost by time or gear and limit tire slip too. Maybe calling them junk was harsh. I should have just said they are less efficient, less productive, and less drive-able than other alternatives.

You will need to decide what you really want. As you know any motor can be boosted many ways; some are more efficient, some make more of a visual statement. Roots and carbs, while old as hell tech, just look so damn killer. As for the pricing I am considering boosting my Hemi, and with buying good parts a roots set up and a procharger were about the same $$ A little more for a blow thru deal, but a lot more streetable power. Bottom line, opinions are like elbows, mine is whatever you decide try to use a new world block. You will have at least half as much in an old 440 block to handle the power

Goodluck, Mark

I ran a Paxton Years back and it worked pritty good on the SB Ford I had it on. I just wanted a killer pro street 440 in the car as I have been doing alot of custom work to it. I never had one and thought what the hell this is probly the last runner I will buld so why not try it.
Not looking to run Pro stock or drag it if any. Just wanted the feel of a blower motor. I understand where you guys are comeing from as I am a Pure Racer from the adge of 12. and at 52 have raced and won just about everthing that runs on dirt and turns left. And that being said it Very hard to take the Racer thinking out of the project !!!
But Please keep the info comeing as this is how we Learn !

Auto Transport Service
Back