• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RB cast crank vs converter

WP29440SE

Local time
6:44 AM
Reaction score
i have a standard bearing 73 440 cast crank. i have this converter with no weights. are these compatable or do i need weights on this thing? if so what are my options? the only thing i know about this converter is that it is a passenger car BB 727
thanks guys

Attachments

• converter.jpg
    converter.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 193
  • converter1.jpg
    converter1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 175
As is, they are not compatible. You can do one of a few things. What "I" would do would be to have it all neutral balanced, so adding weights to the converter would not be necessary. You could also run a neutral balancer if you did that, too. Or, you could get the flex plate with the hunk out of it like B&M and everybody else sells. Another option is to get the template and add the weights to the converter. I prefer the first option, because more than likely, you're gonna have it balanced anyway. It may take some mallory metal and some people bitch about the extra expense, but you'll be spending the money on the best choice, IMHO.

As is, they are not compatible. You can do one of a few things. What "I" would do would be to have it all neutral balanced, so adding weights to the converter would not be necessary. You could also run a neutral balancer if you did that, too. Or, you could get the flex plate with the hunk out of it like B&M and everybody else sells. Another option is to get the template and add the weights to the converter. I prefer the first option, because more than likely, you're gonna have it balanced anyway. It may take some mallory metal and some people bitch about the extra expense, but you'll be spending the money on the best choice, IMHO.

thanks Rob , but im way too far in it now to do anything internal. im about to fire this thing up in my garage so i have to put the converter and trans on to start it (with fluid of course). are there standard weights i can weld on this verter ? would it tear up the engine to run it as is for 20-30 minutes to break it in?

Attachments

• rb46.jpg
    rb46.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 132
I haven't a clue. They aren't very big though. I think that kit just comes with every possible combination.

Thought I had some weights stashed away but they were bolt lugs....49 grams each!

Thought I had some weights stashed away but they were bolt lugs....49 grams each!
well crap, those are a little heavy . did you see those cool chrome valve covers i got from some member around here?

well crap, those are a little heavy . did you see those cool chrome valve covers i got from some member around here?
LOL! I could machine em down to 20 grams easy enough.....

LOL! I could machine em down to 20 grams easy enough.....
that would be awesome if you could. it would sure save me some hassle and money. if you want to do it , email me and let me know what i owe you.

that would be awesome if you could. it would sure save me some hassle and money. if you want to do it , email me and let me know what i owe you.
I have some mill work that needs doing anyways so I could do these while I'm at it....I think I still have your email. Let me check. Yup, I got it still.

Auto Transport Service
Back