• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trouble picking off-the-shelf torque converter for street SB/727

Secret Chimp

Local time
5:44 AM
Reaction score
I finally have a rebuilt small block 727 for my '67 wagon. The original converter is completely chewed up on the nose and has 126k on it, so I need a new one.

With the 5.2 Magnum I am running right now (stock w/ headers+carb), it stalled around 2000-2100rpm.

I need to use an off-the-shelf converter, as a custom-built one isn't really in my budget (if my understanding is right that they're usually $700-800+).

I am never going to actually race the thing, but I also don't want to pick a converter with a big-block stall rating and stall even lower than the old stocker. I.e. Hughes sells a 2000rpm stall converter, but they say small blocks will stall 300-500rpm lower.

I *would* like to be able to get a little more stall while also getting a tighter around-town behavior than the old converter, if that is possible without going custom. Has anyone put an aftermarket converter in with a similar combo & goals?

The reman Dayco High stall 10 3/4 Factory 383HP/340 is pretty decent. It'll stall 2300 or more.
Doug

I did a quick search for converter rebuilders in your area, and looks like there is a place called Oregon Torque Converter (541)741-0859
Since your looking for close to factory high stall, they might be able to make you a semi-custom one for near the cost of a factory rebuilt one.
Some places don't work with the public, just through distributors. If so just ask who they distributors are.

For near stock / mild stuff TransStar is local to me and I think they have a local converter rebuilder they work with as I was able to get a factory high stall converter with upgraded stator and bearings.

I don't know if the 5.2 magnum uses the converter counterweight like the 5.9 does. Just make sure it is the same balance weight if it has one. The 360LA is a different weight than the 5.9 Magnum.

Magnum uses the flywheel for balance instead of the converter. The 383hp/340 converters are neutral balance. The earlier convetrer has one offset lug. You will have to slot the one converter bolt hole in the factory flexplate to use it. Easy job.
Doug

I'm not sure if I want to use a factory-style high stall - I don't want to lose out on converter technology advances and pick something that was designed 50 years ago and potentially drives softer than my old converter, vs a newer converter that may flash higher but still slip as little as factory stall around town.

The 5.2L Magnum is neutral balance like LA 318s, so I need a neutral balance converter (or neutral-ify it by zipping off weights)

I finally have a rebuilt small block 727 for my '67 wagon. The original converter is completely chewed up on the nose and has 126k on it, so I need a new one.

With the 5.2 Magnum I am running right now (stock w/ headers+carb), it stalled around 2000-2100rpm.

I need to use an off-the-shelf converter, as a custom-built one isn't really in my budget (if my understanding is right that they're usually $700-800+).

I am never going to actually race the thing, but I also don't want to pick a converter with a big-block stall rating and stall even lower than the old stocker. I.e. Hughes sells a 2000rpm stall converter, but they say small blocks will stall 300-500rpm lower.

I *would* like to be able to get a little more stall while also getting a tighter around-town behavior than the old converter, if that is possible without going custom. Has anyone put an aftermarket converter in with a similar combo & goals?
Chewed up on the nose? ANy pics? The same "nose" that butts up to the crankshaft?

Chewed up on the nose? ANy pics? The same "nose" that butts up to the crankshaft?
No, inside where it rides on the pump/stator support. It is very gouged up, as is the support. I had a lot of little bits of stuff run through the transmission when it died. I'm not going to reuse it, it's not worth the risk.

They can and often do simply weld on a new hub. At the converter rebuliders

The factory high stall is a pretty decent converter. I've had the privledge to know Al Adam, Lou & Ron Mancini. All were involved with trans and converter technology back then at Chrysler. Al designed the J converter. All of these converters used in the correct application still work very well. Kenny Ford at PTC used to sell very nice street /strip converters for $500. I'm sure the current price is higher.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back