• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RB Head Gasket Water Passages PLUS Locating Pin Discovery

haywire 440

Full Speed Ahead
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:42 AM
Reaction score
This 413 motor cylinder heads are ready for installation and prep work is near complete. My question is on the water passage through the slits in the gasket. I figured it’s ok because I see a lot of similar gaskets but I found this one on ebay that has much larger slots?

The other critical issue was the mounting pins that one is in the wrong place/hole. The short block came back from the machine shop like this. I “luckily” saw this and will correct it. It will be brought to their attention later. Obviously something to check and be aware of.

The pins are correct in the first picture but not in the third.

IMG_5340.jpeg

IMG_5341.png

IMG_5339.jpeg

I wouldn't lose sleep over the size of those slots. they're there so you don't end up with air pockets in the block. They're not there for coolant "flow" - that's what the big holes at each end are for.

The pins are and easy mistake. Would have been caught sooner or later !! Wondering if it would even matter - as long as the heads have matching holes!

I wouldn't lose sleep over the size of those slots. they're there so you don't end up with air pockets in the block. They're not there for coolant "flow" - that's what the big holes at each end are for.

The pins are and easy mistake. Would have been caught sooner or later !! Wondering if it would even matter - as long as the heads have matching holes!
I did think the slots were antifreeze passages. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

There are 2 corresponding holes in the heads. The pins bottom out in one set, solid bottom and the other two holes, on each side, do go deep into the block. Once again my concern is that they may have coolant running through them.

IMG_5334.jpeg

The heads are on now. Great reply @gkent !!

The two small holes are where they are to facilitate the emptying of the heads when draining coolant from the block.

The two small holes are where they are to facilitate the emptying of the heads when draining coolant from the block.
That explains the function and importance. I like learning new things, no matter how small. Best Regards!

This 413 motor cylinder heads are ready for installation and prep work is near complete. My question is on the water passage through the slits in the gasket. I figured it’s ok because I see a lot of similar gaskets but I found this one on ebay that has much larger slots?

The other critical issue was the mounting pins that one is in the wrong place/hole. The short block came back from the machine shop like this. I “luckily” saw this and will correct it. It will be brought to their attention later. Obviously something to check and be aware of.

The pins are correct in the first picture but not in the third.

View attachment 1609179

View attachment 1609180

View attachment 1609181
1 side the gasket is right side up, the other side is up side down. Your pictures show both right side up. Kim

The size of the holes on the cylinder head block face facilitate the removal of sand from the casting after the casting process. The gasket design determines how much is needed for coolant flow.

Auto Transport Service
Back