• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reading '67 fender tag correctly

absolutfrase

Local time
8:55 PM
Reaction score
Need to verify that I'm reading some lines on my tag correctly for a '67 GTX. Source of my info is Govier's (I think that's the spelling) compilation of codes. I'll try to be thorough in describing location on the tag.
1. bottom line, 2nd set of numbers from the right: 628 This is the production date? June 28th. Correct?
2. bottom line, last set of numbers: 06303 This is the one I'm confused on. If I'm reading the book correctly, this is the shipping order. The book states "The shipping order consists of both the scheduled production date and the shipping order number." Based on this, the car was scheduled for production on 6/30; the 03 makes no sense to me. I can understand the differences between the production date & shipping order. The 03 has me stymied.
3. Will the fender tag have a delete stripe code? If I'm reading the book correctly, delete stripe code is 318 horizontal, Is this correct?
Thanks in advance.

yes, "628" is June 28th for production day

the shipping order numbers will mean basically nothing to you, it was for the factory order, nothing more

I cannot tell you off hand about the stripe delete on a GTX....sorry

1. bottom line, 2nd set of numbers from the right: 628 This is the production date? June 28th. Correct?
2. bottom line, last set of numbers: 06303 This is the one I'm confused on. If I'm reading the book correctly, this is the shipping order. The book states "The shipping order consists of both the scheduled production date and the shipping order number." Based on this, the car was scheduled for production on 6/30; the 03 makes no sense to me. I can understand the differences between the production date & shipping order. The 03 has me stymied.
3. Will the fender tag have a delete stripe code? If I'm reading the book correctly, delete stripe code is 318 horizontal, Is this correct?
Thanks in advance.

1. Correct but this is the scheduled, not actual, production date
2. The last five digits are unique to that car for that particular scheduled production date. The entire shipping order consists of the three digit SPD and five digit number. The five digit code is often called the shipping order number but to be correct, the entire eight digit number is the total shipping order number. the five digit number has nothing to do with a date code so 0630 does not mean June 30th.

Are you absolutely positive the number starts with a 6?

In '67, different makes and model lines had consistent five digit sales order numbers. Baring any special use or handling, a sales order number starting with 06 would be assigned to a Dodge Coronet or Dart. The Belvedere line started with other numbers.

3. You can only delete what is standard. In '67 the Sport Stripes (hood stripes) were an additional cost item and not standard. Therefore, they couldn't be 'deleted' therefore no stripe delete code.

As I understand, and it may be a little different for 67 Charger but - Under UBS is your stripe. U = us usually the color of the car
B = black
C = light blue
D = medium blue
E = dark blue
G = green
H = tan
K = beige
L = dark turquoise
Q = dark red
S = pewter
T = medium copper
W = white
Y = medium gold
Z = gold
Then the last under S is stripe.
W = white stripe
B = black stripe
C = blue stripe
H = red stripe
8 = stripe delete
Bur as stated, stripe was standard on the Charger, so stripe delete was an option.

As I understand, and it may be a little different for 67 Charger but - Under UBS is your stripe......

67 GTXs do not code a stripe under the S.
The sports stripes (hood stripes) are coded after the color code.

Shipping number as read from the tag is 06303. I did not realize that each make/model had its own specific number. Learned something new. Also, did not know that the stripe was an option. My understanding was it was standard. The advertising literature made it seem like the stripe was standard as part of the GTX's gravitas.
My PNT is 881 (bright blue metallic/mono paint). If I'm understanding this info, my GTX did not have stripes on it.

Shipping number as read from the tag is 06303. I did not realize that each make/model had its own specific number. Learned something new.

Yes. 06 sales order codes are typically '67 Dodge codes.

I hate to ask....are you absolutely sure the tag is original and not remade?

Does the Bottom row read RP29 -- 73 or 83 -- 1, 3 or 5 -- (3 digit/tire size) -- 628 -- 06303 ??
BTW, 67 Dodge out of Hamtramck all usually start with 08. GTX is probably out of St Louis.

No, I don't mind you asking about the originality of the tag. One of the first things I did when I purchased the car in '96 was to remove the fender tag. There is an info plate riveted to the body by the driver door hinges that matches the VIN; it begins w/ RS23. Referencing the tag, on the bottom line, first set of letters/numbers is RS23, the prefix for a '67 GTX.
Maybe the factory worker was having a bad day? HaHa

- - - Updated - - -

ODZKing: Bottom line reads RS23 83 5 485 628 06303
First seven characters for VIN are RS23L71; car was manufactured in Lynch Rd, MI.

Yep, my mistake RS (Special)
Body Type: R = GTX
Price Class: S = Special
Body Type: 23 = 2 Door Hardtop
Engine: L = 440 375HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Year: 7 = 1967
Next number will tell you factory. You say Lynch Rd. so it should be 1

83 - 440 4bbl
5 - automatic
48 = 7.75 x 14” red wall ... 5 means that the spare was the same (5 tires)
June 28 schedule build date
06303 is “shipping order numbers” ....they mean nothing as to what the car has for options.

Ok, here's another question. Does the S.O. number have to match the serial #? I got a build sheet with my '66 Coronet but the S.O. # is about 83 away from the serial#. I've had several knowledgeable people tell me that this very likely could be the proper build sheet for my car.

Ok, here's another question. Does the S.O. number have to match the serial #? I got a build sheet with my '66 Coronet but the S.O. # is about 83 away from the serial#. I've had several knowledgeable people tell me that this very likely could be the proper build sheet for my car.

No. VIN and SO are pretty much unrelated.

- - - Updated - - -

Does the Bottom row read RP29 -- 73 or 83 -- 1, 3 or 5 -- (3 digit/tire size) -- 628 -- 06303 ??
BTW, 67 Dodge out of Hamtramck all usually start with 08. GTX is probably out of St Louis.

There is little correlation between the SO and the plant.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, 67 Dodge Chargers out of Hamtramck all usually start with 08.

Darts start with other numbers

Auto Transport Service
Back