• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really dumb question

747mopar

Local time
5:38 PM
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to wire my headlights up and realized I've never seen them lit up. Does the lows stay on while on high are on and are the highs inboard or outboard?? Anybody have a good link for adjusting the headlights

Look at the back of the headlight bulb if it has two posts it is a high beam, if it has three posts it is both high and low beam. Usually if the bulbs are upper and lower the upper is the three post. If they are arranged inner and outer the outer ones are three post.

On a four headlight setup (horizontal), the outside headlights are your low beams. The inside two, in conjunction with the outside ones, makes the high beams. All four are lite.

If I'm not mistaken, the low beam headlight bulbs are three prong connection. The high beam bulbs (inner) are two prong connectors..

I guess I should have mentioned I'm converting it to halogens. That answers my question though, all on in high and outsides are low beam. Thanks

Correct info for the outside 3 prong bulbs being the low (and high beam) with the two prong inside being high beam only. As for setting your headlight angle.....most cars are different and depending on passengers, load, fuel etc the height will vary. Best technique i used to use many years ago with these cars was to find a narrow country road or a laneway at night and adjust them to the preferred height. The passenger lowbeam will be down a bit but more straight and the driverside pointing down and to the right a bit. Also, if you set the low beams to what would be awesome visibility, you are probably polluting the oncoming drivers with your light and are certain to get every other car flashing you. Another consequence of this is That it is an automatic reaction for people under the influence to turn into the light they are looking at. The more light in their eyes the greater the risk. That's why you see so many of them hit cars parked on the side of the road.

Maybe a bit more info than you were looking for but like what most of the folks preach on here: A little extra effort goes a long way. Even on the simple things.

Last edited:
A few are adding the 3 glass nibs so they are DOT and for the head light align tool that is a joke
best way to line them is find a flat parking lot and drive up to building with wheels straight stop 6in away mark high beam hot spots and back up 10 feet adjust 1in lower and slightly to right
do this with a full tank of gas and all normal items you keep in the car

Auto Transport Service
Back