• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear bumper adjustment

And its only a side to side adjustment.

Left and right brackets are different. So there not interchangable
The bumper is not obviously bent or twisted, so the problem may be with the brackets. I was thinking last night that I would switch them side to side and see if that worked, but I guess not!

I think I am going to try shimming it temporarily to see if I can get it more even. I can get it pretty close when the bolts are loose, but as soon as I tighten it it pulls back. I think maybe if I shim under the bottom of the passenger side it will stay in that position when I tighten it.

I know that is half-assed but I have a car show to attend on Sunday, so no time to take it all apart and figure out what is twisted.

By the way thanks for all the replies.:thumbsup:

Maybe remove the pass side bracket and see if the curved section can be tweeked it does not have to move much on a bracket to change a gap distance.

On a side note. The upper part of the bumpers edge should be straight. It doesnt take much to bend these out of there shape.

53520BC3-CBA6-4B97-A644-47537258D665.jpeg

Maybe the car was bumped on the left side in an earlier life and the metal pushed in a little where the bracket sits. Have you looked closely for any sign of that?

The rear crossmember looks pretty much unmolested. I'll have a better look at things tonight.

Well I half-assed it by putting a shim under each side of the bottom of the passenger side bracket and one under each side of the top of the drivers side bracket. It worked out pretty well since the depth is now only out about 3/16 of an inch, and the gaps between the end of the bumper and the body are now pretty even. I am still not sure what is twisted. The bumper looks really straight so maybe it is the brackets.

IMG_20220616_192715097.jpg

IMG_20220616_193314157.jpg

IMG_20220616_193334887.jpg

I’m doubtful a lot of them were any closer than that, even when new.

Auto Transport Service
Back