• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear End Whistle Noises '63 Fury

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:43 AM
Reaction score
I searched for a discussion finding none, so new posting. My Plymouth has had a lot of work done between shops and me. Work done: three sure grip rebuilds 3:23 to 3:55 1st two guys couldn't handle it thinking they could having done many GM and Ford rears. Last guy, a talented perfectionist, with all the right equipment spec'd it exactly to factory. Long story sorry. Installed "green bearings" which I find endless pro and con discussions about, along with a well known forum member telling me I was an idiot to have done this (I took it hard; but getting to know this guy, he is a walking Mopar encyclopedia). Also had disk/power brakes installed and 15" wheels for the clearance. Suspension work...lowered front end to achieve about a 2" rake with HD springs rear. OK for the lead in - car now whistles like Bing Crosby down the highway; no preference for speed quieter and louder. Advice?

Do you recognize the tune? Left, right, coast, engine off? In gear, out of gear?

Do you recognize the tune? Left, right, coast, engine off? In gear, out of gear?
That's part of the perplexing thing, it has no specific pattern far as I can ID so far, will get louder and quiet down low speed and higher speed. Turning makes no difference (thinking those bearings I put in) and no typical bearing noise from my past encounters. After posting, started wondering if the "rake" has some effect whether from the drive shaft angle or even wind dynamics. I had a '70 Cuda years back that used to have a whistle noise but recall different sound. This sound is more mechanical resonating if that makes sense.

Could be pinion bearing, noise fluctuates with engine speed, turning makes no difference to the pinion bearing. Bearing speeds up and slows down with engine speed.

Might be nothing, but a few years back had noises like that, on a Chevy truck.
Wound up being the rear u-joint, one of the so-called non-servicable types. Dry as a bone, getting good and rusty. Might be worth a look.

Sounds like pinion depth set wrong, wrong selective spacer, too thin, and pinion is trying walk forward away from ring gear. If it doesn't change with load on vs load off, then there's no "looseness", but pinion likely not deep enough into the ring gear.
Has the guy who set it up ridden in the car with you? Did he show you a picture of the contact pattern of the ring gear teeth? Shop manuals used to have pictures of right and wrong patterns for drive and coast loading on tooth faces.
IF he never had the pinion out, and the ring and pinion are original, then he's got the carrier too much to one side or the other. Is there NO change between applying power vs coasting?

Sounds like pinion depth set wrong, wrong selective spacer, too thin, and pinion is trying walk forward away from ring gear. If it doesn't change with load on vs load off, then there's no "looseness", but pinion likely not deep enough into the ring gear.
Has the guy who set it up ridden in the car with you? Did he show you a picture of the contact pattern of the ring gear teeth? Shop manuals used to have pictures of right and wrong patterns for drive and coast loading on tooth faces.
IF he never had the pinion out, and the ring and pinion are original, then he's got the carrier too much to one side or the other. Is there NO change between applying power vs coasting?

I took it back out yesterday with the top dropped this go around back to the area with guard rails where the sound bounces off. I noticed the sound does rise under acceleration and quiets with no load this time. Guy that did the rear gave me his notes of rear adjust (load/backlash, etc.) and pic of the ring pattern right in center using bluing dye. Took him awhile to achieve this as he explained being confident he got it all within spec's. This re-do included a "2nd" new R&P set install (I got both sets from Yukon). I'm likely getting other noises here, no surprise, maybe the drive shaft as Miller mentioned (thanks for the tip Miller) and or trans as it's old but still performs nicely. I plan to have a car friend ride along to see if he may be able to detect anything. Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back