• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torqueflite De-coding Help?

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:53 PM
Reaction score
I have a 727 that’s been in the garage for 27 years and had bought it with a bunch of other parts, including a ‘65 Coronet rear I installed soon after I got it in my ‘63. The guy I bought it from seemed like a walking early mopar encyclopedia saying this trans was a ’65 out of the same car. Having mentioned it in another post got a message from a fellow member asking more about it.

Had trouble reading the numbers; but think I have most of them: Appears to be 66 214 062 (might be another digit at the end as a 9 or 0, not sure). Looking at the charts I could find, didn't find any further back then ’65. No numbers correspond. My next guess is I may have a ’62-’64. It’s cable setup and aluminum case.

Any trans experts by chance know what I may have sitting on a shelf the past two plus decades?

Thanks much

Your numbers are missing digits

does it take a slip yoke or have a flange and the output end?

A 65 trans will be cable shift with a slip yoke. It is a one year configuration. You are missing some numbers. The 65 numbers that I have all start with 24661, and a 318 -727 is 2466166. There is also a seven digit number after the part number if it is pre 68.

I'm looking more at the numbers using a mag-glass and camera, seems a section has been indented messing one or two up. I also see a G ahead of the digits and 166 214 062 - final digit is offset which could be a 0 or 9. Well, I'll see if I can detect more on the numbers. Given what I find so far, sure doesn't comport with '65 #'s. Thanks

Read post number 3 again to determine if it is a 65. How far to the left of the 166 is the G?
It is good half inch, seems like the dent has damaged numbering after the G. The tail is a bare spline. I'll stare at the numbers more maybe get lucky.

Any aware of numbers for 62-64 transmissions? I haven't come across any.

Any aware of numbers for 62-64 transmissions? I haven't come across any.
Yes, and for even earlier ones.
Maybe a pic of the pan rail on the one you are working on may help??

If the tailshaft is a straight spline, it is a '65 transmission. If there is a threaded extension for a bolt on flange, it is a '62-'64 piece.

Yes, and for even earlier ones.
Maybe a pic of the pan rail on the one you are working on may help??
I'll put up some photos thanks.

a pic of the pan rail

Tran 2.jpg

Tran 3.jpg

Tran 1.jpg

I didn't mention that it is a 1965 transmission, but that had already been determined in the above posts.

I didn't mention that it is a 1965 transmission, but that had already been determined in the above posts.
Pretty sure it came out of a '65 Coronet - but that discussion was 27 years ago along with some info that this would be better than the '63, if it came to replacing it, so bought it with other parts. After a few modifications, the '63 runs like a clock and at this stage with my age, doubt that's going to happen.

The picture of the numbers does look to me like it’s probably 2466166. Small block 65 transmission.

Auto Transport Service
Back