• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear glass rubber space

snakeoil24

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:57 PM
Reaction score
Looking for input after glass was installed a small void exists between gasket and body on 67 ht coronet. I’d like to add some bedding compound to reduce this area for dirt and water and fine some kind of tiny tip for bottom any help appreciated, stainless trim will cover the edge of course

8BCF4975-E620-496A-B902-F60EB0B54D59.jpeg

E34ACC53-6FDD-4532-B4EB-08BB3E78710E.jpeg

B4020E3A-57FE-4BFF-BBCC-7C7ACDF59D5E.jpeg

A01EDA2B-A50D-4DCE-95FE-4C9E674EF29C.jpeg

I know what you're trying to do but I don't think I'd completely fill the whole perimieter - maybe just the lower portion so water doesn't puddle and sit in there. I think seam sealer would be the best bet.

What's wrong with it getting hard ??? And it comes in a tube to use in a caulking gun.

They use seam sealer to seal quarter panel extensions on b-bodies as well as on the seam between the dutchman and quarters and also on the drip rails. It doesn't pull away there.

The 3M glazing and bedding compound is what you want. Cut the tip small and shoot some in there. I wouldn’t fill it, just make sure it’s sealed up. Use a small wood stick like a tongue depressor to work it in.

They use seam sealer to seal quarter panel extensions on b-bodies as well as on the seam between the dutchman and quarters and also on the drip rails. It doesn't pull away there.
Seam seal is for sealing 2 ridged panels. When a gasket is introduced it is a flexible surface and the setting compound stays flexible.

With B body filled around my back glass with bedding material. Did not want water to settle in the gap also. Used it between the body and the pop out window gasket. It did not hold to the rubber gasket. Now have used black RVT to hold it. Time will tell. Wanted water to run off and not down into the car like they wanted it to.

The guy at my local napa said that the 3m bedding and glazing compound has been discontinued.

Does anyone have any knowledge of that?

If it is true, does anyone have a good alternative?

That’s not the same you want “bedding compound not urethane based. It’s a black pliable putty.
I’m very familiar. It’s not urethane, it’s butyl. From CRLawrence:
  • Non-Curing Flow Grade Butyl in Cartridges
  • Remains Tacky Throughout Life, Does not Skin Over
  • Can be Water Tested Immediately

possibly modern windshield urethane....... adheres to just about everything, remains pliable, wont shrink, and not porous

1687553033666.png

Auto Transport Service
Back