• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear seat removal on a 67 Coronet

TekHousE

Local time
10:39 PM
Reaction score
HI all.

Since I did not find exactly what I wanted on the forums to help me research taking the rear seat and back rest of out of my car today. I thought I would post this up with a few photos in case it helps anyone else.

To remove the back seat on a 67 Coronet-

1) Push down and then BACKWARDS on the seat cushion. Push as far front on the seat whilst still having good control. The seat anchors are shaped like this:
IMG_8838.jpg

Note that I did NOT remove my rear armrests before taking the seat out. I know that removing would make the seat removal easier, but getting those armrests off with the seat in place is difficult. Unless you have a short screwdriver (but still with enough length to reach the armrest screws) I did not have anything close. But it is possible to take the seat out with them in place anyway. I did it by myself.

Once the seat is free, slide it towards the front of the car until it clears the armrests, then tilt it up and take it out of the car.

2) To remove the rear back rest. Take a look at this photo first, it is the trunk side of my car. There are some posts on here about needing to bend out some tabs or something in the trunk. If yours looks like mine...DO NOT ATTEMPT that!

IMG_8833.jpg

Here is a photo of the inside of the car. You can see that on the other side of the 'tab' in the trunk there is a HOOK:

IMG_8837.jpg

The back rest simply needs to be pushed directly UPWARDS and slightly angled towards the rear of the car. As the hook bends lightly backwards to hold the back rest in place securely.

ON my car at least, there was NOTHING else holding the back rest in. I am not sure if there is supposed to be, if there is I would love to know, so I can make mine as close to original as possible. but regardless, once re-installed, both my back rest and rear seat are perfectly in place and secured.

I've just realized that the best part of all of this, i.e. I installed my brand new Legendary Interiors rear trims, I did not photograph! What a noob! ;)

It was such a nice afternoon once I had this done, I hopped in and went for a cruise. Once I got back it was dark..So now I am posting this.

I will post interior shots soon though, as I have an order of door, roof and quarter vent windows, rubber coming, plus new armrest pads, since mine now look stupid compared to the new trims I have on the doors and in the back.

I hope this helps someone. If I have missed something please mention it and I can update this post.

ON a side note, I was amazed how clean my floor was, since I had taken the carpet up at the front once I got my car, but this is the first time I had the rear seat out. And, no...there was no broadcast sheet, but my car was built in LA so I guess that is normal for west coast builds. At least I heard that somewhere.

hey Tek, the rear seat back should be held in at the bottom corners with either two self tapping screws or tabs that you bend. The seatback has a loop of wire at either lower corner that the screws or tabs hold.

OK, thanks, mine was free, but I saw those tabs and wondered what they were for. I believe without them the seat back is not going anywhere, but I may as well get it right. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back