• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear shock length

1968340S

Local time
4:06 PM
Reaction score
Removed my stock leaf springs 5 leaf off 1966 Satellite. Installed new springs that are 6 leaf driver side and 7 leaf passenger side. My old shocks due fit with the extended length to the shock plate with the added leafs. But these old shocks
( Montgomery Ward ) are of course toast
They measure 23" center eye to eye.
Purchased KYB 5512 are they are 22.6" and to short by a good 1/2". Recommendation on where to look for shocks.
20211020_111943.jpg

no problem, put a jack underneath your leaf spring, jack it up and attach your shock. Once the car is on the ground the body will come down, the shock will not be at full travel then

I think station wagon shocks are longer, I put the SS springs on my 63 and installed the station wagon shocks.

no problem, put a jack underneath your leaf spring, jack it up and attach your shock. Once the car is on the ground the body will come down, the shock will not be at full travel then
That means that the shock will always hold the weight of the entire suspension while off the ground. I just have the axle housing in right now. Axles and 3rd member will create even more weight. Thought this would just destroy the shock. I always thought the shock was not to support the the suspension, but to absorb the vehicle ride.

cars need tires replaced, suspension work done and other stuff to where cars have to be lifted and the suspension hangs down.

I've seen many of factory stock vehicles that you cant put the stock shocks on without lifting the rear axle , it's the upper mount that cant take the beating of the weight of the car and that's the opposite of your problem , which in my opinion is no problem there

Auto Transport Service
Back