• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear shock mount question 66 Belvedere

bigowhiteboy

Local time
1:54 PM
Reaction score
I was under my 66 project car today, trying to figure out which rear it has (471 with 2.93), and I notice some butchering went on in its previous life.
The cross member that attaches to the body, and the shocks, has both ends cut off. It looks like it should go from frame rail to frame rail and has the bump stops attached to it directly over the rear. So my question is, why would someone cut off the ends that attach to the frame rails, and can I get this piece repo?
Someone did put a shackle kit on it at some time, but I just can't figure out why that piece would be cut up. I believe this car has not been driven since the early 80's, so not sure if it was some sort of mod they did back in the day. If only these cars could talk. Thanks for any input.

someone put airshocks on it at one time my 68 charger has same problem if there is any rust that just makes it easier for the airshocks to break it off. I just fabbed brackets to reattach to frame rails depending how correct you want it to look. I'm sure someone like amd makes new crossmember. please get rid of any shackles extentions and air shocks just give them to a chevy guy (THEY ARE DUMB AND WILL BE HAPPY WITH THEM)

My 66 Charger had the same issue and someone bolted the crossmember to the floorpan.
Auto Rust Tech makes a HD replacement just be sure to tell them you want it to fit your excisting width.(mine came almost 3/4 short to allow for frame caps at the mounting location.
Not a Exact replica of the original but certainly a better built piece. Heavy Gauge

Ron

someone put airshocks on it at one time my 68 charger has same problem if there is any rust that just makes it easier for the airshocks to break it off. I just fabbed brackets to reattach to frame rails depending how correct you want it to look. I'm sure someone like amd makes new crossmember. please get rid of any shackles extentions and air shocks just give them to a chevy guy (THEY ARE DUMB AND WILL BE HAPPY WITH THEM)

All of us Chevy and ex-Chevy owners thank you for that last sentence...

Thanks Ron, that was what I was looking for.
I could put the shackle kit on my 73 Maverick Grabber, wouldn't hurt the value any.

Even tho I like Mopars the best, I also like ALL cars and have owned GM and Ford cars too....also, I've seen a lot of dumb Mopar guys too. Some people just shouldn't own any kind of car and just take the bus or a cab.

Cranky, I agree. Their are cars of all makes that I think are sweet, but I have also seen cars of all makes completely ruined by their owners. But to each their own I guess. There is a 73 charger here in town that has the most ridiculous shackle kit/rake I have ever seen. To me it looks stupid, but the guy loves it so who am to tell him my opinion, unless he asks.

Jeff at 521 restorations could hook you up with a new one...He's a member here (jsbrown). Bring up your a FBBO member, he'll give you a discount. Gotta love some of the Joe Dirt Hack jobs folks do on these cars. Entertaining at times. Good Luck!

xmember.jpg

http://www.521restorations.com/index.pl?page=bbody&sub1=Trunk

Auto Transport Service
Back