• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Suspension Colors

67 GTX

Local time
8:24 AM
Reaction score
Hopefully shortly I will be replacing my leaf springs, and while doing so, I wanted to detail the parts as much as possible.
I know some components were left bare, and not sure if it varied by the factory that the car was built. Car is a 67 GTX/440/4-speed.

But does anyone know the stock colors for the leaf springs, hangers, rear end (Dana 60), shock mounts, shocks, and any other components that had a finish in the rear suspension?

Thank you in advance!

What color are the leaf springs which you are removing? I have a 67 Charger Hemi 4 speed and the leaf springs are red, not a bright color but they are a dark brick red color.

springs - dull/flatish black
hangers - natural
rear end - med black
shock mount - natural
shock - same as rear (double check me, this was off the top of my head.
brake back plates - phosphate

check out the build thread in my signature.

What color are the leaf springs which you are removing? I have a 67 Charger Hemi 4 speed and the leaf springs are red, not a bright color but they are a dark brick red color.
Currently black but I believe that's an old can job. Beneath that just seems bare.

springs - dull/flatish black
hangers - natural
rear end - med black
shock mount - natural
shock - same as rear (double check me, this was off the top of my head.
brake back plates - phosphate

check out the build thread in my signature.
I checked out your build thread, and WOW!
Am I correct to assume 8 3/4 and Dana's were the same color?
And how did you do the phosphate finish?

Currently black but I believe that's an old can job. Beneath that just seems bare.

I checked out your build thread, and WOW!
Am I correct to assume 8 3/4 and Dana's were the same color?
And how did you do the phosphate finish?
Thanks! I don’t know for sure but what I’ve seen it looks like it’s the same ‘sheen’ of black. I haven’t seen any that were bare or a color other than black. You can do phosphate one of two ways, sort of. There’s a paint out there that looks okay but it’s not phosphate obviously. Phosphate is really easy to do, if you can boil water you can do it. You can get solution from gun smith sites, I get mine from Palmetto Enterprises. You follow the directions for dilution. Get a hot plate and a non-metallic or coated vessel that will fit the part. Media blast your part, get your solution to 190* and put the part in depending on what you’re after it’ll take 5-10 minutes Pull the part and soak it in oil. Let it cool and wipe it down. Really easy.
27741780808_673b51670b_o.jpeg
38508161561_92a3ac598d_o.jpeg
38476221912_0491d3e89a_o.jpeg
37621296075_50783639d1_o.jpeg
38508161581_d81b12b377_o.jpeg

Thanks! I don’t know for sure but what I’ve seen it looks like it’s the same ‘sheen’ of black. I haven’t seen any that were bare or a color other than black. You can do phosphate one of two ways, sort of. There’s a paint out there that looks okay but it’s not phosphate obviously. Phosphate is really easy to do, if you can boil water you can do it. You can get solution from gun smith sites, I get mine from Palmetto Enterprises. You follow the directions for dilution. Get a hot plate and a non-metallic or coated vessel that will fit the part. Media blast your part, get your solution to 190* and put the part in depending on what you’re after it’ll take 5-10 minutes Pull the part and soak it in oil. Let it cool and wipe it down. Really easy.

For your 'natural' finished parts, did you just leave them bare metal of spray them some type of color?

And wow, thanks for those photos on phosphate. Am I correct to say the grey bolts photo was the finished product? The finish almost looks like a lighter primer.

Dana 60 is semi-gloss black
Was that different from an 8 3/4?

For your 'natural' finished parts, did you just leave them bare metal of spray them some type of color?

And wow, thanks for those photos on phosphate. Am I correct to say the grey bolts photo was the finished product? The finish almost looks like a lighter primer.

Was that different from an 8 3/4?
No, the dark oil covered bolts are finished in phosphate. The like gray is freshly bead blasted.

For natural you can use something like Rust Prevention Magic or Boeshield for rust prevention. For cars you want to ‘look’ like bare steel use a light dusting of cast blast paint to give a little extra protection.

No, the dark oil covered bolts are finished in phosphate. The like gray is freshly bead blasted.

For natural you can use something like Rust Prevention Magic or Boeshield for rust prevention. For cars you want to ‘look’ like bare steel use a light dusting of cast blast paint to give a little extra protection.
Ah ok, got it! Thanks!

And good idea on the natural paint. I've done something like that in the past and it worked well. I'm just trying to get close to original. I see above you mentioned cast paint, which I've used before and looks great.

But these pieces are all steel correct? Unless the hangars are steel and the shock mounts are cast iron?

Last edited:
Also, any idea what the rear end tags are supposed to be? I have two of them. I've seen them coated and painted.
Not sure if they were on the rear end before or after it was painted, and then if their bolts are supposed to be not painted as well?

Not sure if it’s exactly correct but from what I’ve studied, housing is painted. The chunk is natural, nuts are phosphate. Ratio tag was black or natural. Aluminum limit slip round tag is natural.

Not sure if it’s exactly correct but from what I’ve studied, housing is painted. The chunk is natural, nuts are phosphate. Ratio tag was black or natural. Aluminum limit slip round tag is natural.
Ya I’ve seen a few variations on the tags. Thanks for your input!

Auto Transport Service
Back