• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear suspension

Stubby

Local time
9:10 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking for some info I recently replaced the rear leaf spring in my 66 satellite. I ordered them from summit put them on and the drivers side is about a 1 lower then the passenger side. they are the correct springs one side is a 5 piece and the other is a 4.

I'm looking for some info I recently replaced the rear leaf spring in my 66 satellite. I ordered them from summit put them on and the drivers side is about a 1 lower then the passenger side. they are the correct springs one side is a 5 piece and the other is a 4.
sounds like super stock springs.

Most performance cars came with 'biased' springs in the rear. Do you remember what exactly you ordered?

As Cranky said,,Part Numbers would be helpful. Engine torque under power loads the passenger side,thus the extra leaf helps equalize the torque to both rear tires. Normal stance.

The MP S/S springs we put in our Duster were A-Body, 2800#, pn 863 & 4, And they were biased also. The car sits about 1" higher on the passenger side, for compression on the start.

By design, loads the right rear against engine torque. However if you are not racing it can be leveled pretty close. Add a tension to the left front torsion bar and relive a little on the passenger. Start a turn at time. drive it so it settles and recheck your height. This will jack the weight diagonally. Without lifting one end of the vehicle in the center it is impossible to tell if the front or rear is causing the difference in side to side height. When adjusting preload on my racecar the rear housing is raised in the center and the front leveled. You'd be surprised at the difference in the amount of thread showing on the two adjusters on some cars. Torsion bars aren't always equal tension.
Doug

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back