• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebirth of my 1970 GTX!

The typical pile of parts inside!

IMG_4426.JPG IMG_4427.JPG IMG_4428.JPG

I still didn't have a garage and winter was coming so I got busy tearing things down at the farm. No lights or power out there but I got a lot done! Here you can see the buckled floor pan and some of the original Lime-light peeking through...

IMG_4440.JPG IMG_4446.JPG

Gonna need a new K-frame! I bought one that a guy said was what I needed but I believe that it was from an e-body. They are different! Luckily I got one off a '70 Satellite at a local salvage yard!

IMG_4437.JPG IMG_4438.JPG

Some little critters are going to have to find a new home! I got all parts out and now you can really see the buckled floor.

IMG_4450.JPG IMG_4466.JPG

I finally got her out of the shed and onto a trailer! After a 13 year stay out there, I have a garage to bring it to! You can see damage from the crash all the way back to the passenger quarter. Both doors still open and close fine, though!

IMG_4512.JPG IMG_4513.JPG IMG_4514.JPG IMG_4517.JPG IMG_4521.JPG

Make sure you save that upper radiator support,the VIN numbers are stamped in it.

Make sure you save that upper radiator support,the VIN numbers are stamped in it.
Ya know, I did everything in my power to get them to transfer the numbers to the new radiator support. It was written down in the work order I filled out that I wanted that done, stated to them in person when I dropped the car off. I sat at a table with about 6 of their employees and said I want it done, they all nod and say "OK". I sent an e-mail to confirm that it would get done, They said, "Yep, we will transfer the numbers." I get the car back, and THEY DID NOT DO IT!!! Holy ****, was I ******* pissed! They made my GTX look like a forgery! When I called all they had to say was that they should not have said that. I really don't think it is illegal or wrong to keep numbers that belong to a car with that car! Oh well, I'm over it now, but, what a crock of ****!!

Ya know, I did everything in my power to get them to transfer the numbers to the new radiator support. It was written down in the work order I filled out that I wanted that done, stated to them in person when I dropped the car off. I sat at a table with about 6 of their employees and said I want it done, they all nod and say "OK". I sent an e-mail to confirm that it would get done, They said, "Yep, we will transfer the numbers." I get the car back, and THEY DID NOT DO IT!!! Holy ****, was I ******* pissed! They made my GTX look like a forgery! When I called all they had to say was that they should not have said that. I really don't think it is illegal or wrong to keep numbers that belong to a car with that car! Oh well, I'm over it now, but, what a crock of ****!!
Call them up ASAP and recover the piece that was taken off if possible.

Proud of you staying with the old X. your doing it right, good luck it's worth it. I know what it takes.:thumbsup:

You need to get the upper radiator support back. Even if you don't put it on the car, you need to have it with the car.

Call them up ASAP and recover the piece that was taken off if possible.
Yeah, I really wish they would have swapped the numbers but I'm not going to sweat it. The monetary value of my car doesn't have much meaning to me right now. I can say my car is not for sale and it never will be. But, I also can't predict the future. Sometimes **** happens, right? If I had an interest in showing the X at a concourse show I'd be more concerned about it but I don't care what any of those judges think of my car. I'm just super happy it's not smashed up sitting in a shed on the farm anymore!

Anyways, I got the car pretty well stripped down so off to the body shop! The plan was to trailer the car and put the donor clip in the back of the truck. It fit fine in the back of my '71 C-10, not so on my stepdad's new Ford! No way that thing was going in the back of the truck! I ended up driving a minivan with a small trailer for the clip. But, I think I'm glad I was alone 'cause I had the biggest smile I ever had and it would not leave! Then tears started going...blah, blah, blah... I was so damn happy my car was going in to get fixed!!!

IMG_4561.JPG

So, the car got dipped and here is what came back! Once you cut the front end off it doesn't look too bad!

Plymouth_GTX_70_001_0164.JPG Plymouth_GTX_70_001_0169.JPG Plymouth_GTX_70_001_0173.JPG Plymouth_GTX_70_001_0174.JPG

So, the car got dipped and here is what came back! Once you cut the front end off it doesn't look too bad!

View attachment 1068450 View attachment 1068451 View attachment 1068452 View attachment 1068453
Not including the front end damage, it looks a lot like my car did - solid floors but needed a trunk floor and rust repair to the quarters. Pretty solid, so you have a great base to start with.

Just remember something @eldubb440 told me: "These cars eat metal!" Expect to have to replace more once you start digging in; it's just part of the process.

Looks pretty solid. It’s great to see that it’s getting fixed.

Just remember something @eldubb440 told me: "These cars eat metal!" Expect to have to replace more once you start digging in; it's just part of the process.

perfect example....... your door jambs were a mess, and got replaced...... we also pried open the bottom of the hinge pillars where rust was creeping out; we were able to blast, clean, and do our best to rust proof those areas....... Tempil Bloxide weldable primer is an excellent anti corrosive.....we brushed in and on, then "blew" it into the crevices with compressed air

hawkmetal11_zpsdae6d747-jpg.jpg

hawkmetal4_zps444b6c55-jpg.jpg

24100_BLOXIDE_gallon_700x.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back