• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebirth of my 1970 GTX!

You won't regret it, especially since your car is a hard top. They more flexible even than my post car.

I also had the supports under the front fenders welded in, as well as the lower radiator support stiffened. I'm not sure how much these contribute to my car's good road manners, but you may want to research and consider these as well while you are in the construction phase.

Here are the front supports during installation:
View attachment 1074872

Here you can see the lower radiator support (with the holes in it):
View attachment 1074874

Hawk
That looks great! The only mods I added were the boxes and connectors. It is gonna be a street car so I hope those upgrades keep me happy!

Here they are doing some paintless dent repair before it's painted. I thought all the metal work was awesome so it should fly right through body and paint. I was wrong... They body-worked this thing to death!

Plymouth_GTX_70_001_0543.JPG Plymouth_GTX_70_001_0544.JPG Plymouth_GTX_70_001_0545.JPG

Last edited:
I checked the invoice and it doesn't say where they got them but they did charge $673 for front and rear torque boxes! The frame connectors came from US car tool.
I wonder if those are the ones Resto Rick is selling. They are definitely not US Cartool. Rick's are supposed to be exact copies of the originals. I've never used them because I couldn't get over the price. They do look nice.

These are the last shots I got from them. So, now I can stop showing pics of what other people have done and get down to the stuff I've got accomplished! Another night, though. That's enough computer time for me!

Plymouth_GTX_70_001_0988.JPG Plymouth_GTX_70_001_0992.JPG Plymouth_GTX_70_001_0994.JPG Plymouth_GTX_70_001_0995.JPG Plymouth_GTX_70_001_0997.JPG Plymouth_GTX_70_001_0998.JPG

So, I had the motor rebuilt and got the X drivable. That was all great and fun, then this happened! The tree packed a pretty good punch but the X won! Only because the tree got ripped out of the ground! There I was with a really cool car all smashed to **** and a tree laying in the boulevard 30 feet in front of it! Not my proudest moment...

View attachment 1056349
Wow that is some serious damage. I hope everyone was ok.

So, I'm half done with a few things. Namely, the front suspension and the window regulators. Also, I've been polishing trim. Here is one thing I did get done. The vinyl top is on!!

IMG_5305.JPG IMG_5314.JPG IMG_5324.JPG

My weapon of choice. Four cans of this stuff got the job done. I ordered the top directly from Legendary. I'm sure that was a good choice as they said they would start sewing it up and have it out to me in about a month. I unboxed it right away and laid it out to avid wrinkles.

IMG_5394.JPG

It actually laid out pretty flat right away! Now for the install... I folded it in half and matched up the seams and marked the center then chalk-lined it. Easy enough. Finding the center of the roof was a bit more difficult. Using the drip rail as a point of measurement is about the only thing you can go off. The front center wasn't to bad to find but the rear center was a bit of a challenge. But, I did my best and made a mark then chalk-lined the roof. Everything got scuffed with sandpaper. I had a couple friends over to help 'cause I did not want to screw this up!! Glued about 4" in the center, vinyl and car. That tacked up a bit then we went for it! This whole process is more nerve wracking than difficult. Glued out to the seam next then the rest. It came out great!! What a relief! Above the quarter-window on both sides wanted to bubble up. I think that was the only problem area.

20200827_183036.jpg 20200827_183125.jpg 20200827_183153.jpg 20200827_214022.jpg

My weapon of choice. Four cans of this stuff got the job done. I ordered the top directly from Legendary. I'm sure that was a good choice as they said they would start sewing it up and have it out to me in about a month. I unboxed it right away and laid it out to avid wrinkles.

View attachment 1110526
Just to warn you the gel contact adhesive works way better.

It actually laid out pretty flat right away! Now for the install... I folded it in half and matched up the seams and marked the center then chalk-lined it. Easy enough. Finding the center of the roof was a bit more difficult. Using the drip rail as a point of measurement is about the only thing you can go off. The front center wasn't to bad to find but the rear center was a bit of a challenge. But, I did my best and made a mark then chalk-lined the roof. Everything got scuffed with sandpaper. I had a couple friends over to help 'cause I did not want to screw this up!! Glued about 4" in the center, vinyl and car. That tacked up a bit then we went for it! This whole process is more nerve wracking than difficult. Glued out to the seam next then the rest. It came out great!! What a relief! Above the quarter-window on both sides wanted to bubble up. I think that was the only problem area.

View attachment 1110539 View attachment 1110540 View attachment 1110541 View attachment 1110542
Best of luck you are in a different climate. Did that on the dash it worked ok seems opened up a few months later best of luck to you.

Top looks great - well done!

I like the black top against the Limelight paint; it provides nice contrast.

Auto Transport Service
Back