• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuild break-in. Didn't go well. (Long read sorry)

it can be a little nerve racking at first, I just broke in another 440 , this time in the car, I usually run them first before putting them in. it took a few cranks of which I really don't like, no leaks, but the headers were glowing red fkg hot and I was praying for no leaking valve covers or plug wire fires. I ran it for 35 minutes at 2300 to 3000 rpm and the oil looks great. i would suggest you run it a little longer than 20 minutes and use some Lucas break in additive along with your regular break in oil and I think you'll be OK.
I NEVER use a Holley for break in, I have always used an Edelbrock 1406 because those things fire right up. I've never had one spit fuel of any sort.

Last edited:
That's to bad Beaner, it could've been a lot worse. Brother had problems upon start up as well. Fuel leaks, etc. Just note how much break in time has already been run and pick up where you left off.
FWIW- I take you didn't follow the Mofart's New build startup checklist? Good Luck
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/motor/22.html

I just read the check list and have a couple of more things to add to it.
#1 Make sure to have a fire extinguisher ( preferable 2) that are properly rated for oil, grease, fluids. They make 3 different types/ratings.
#2 Don't squirt fuel into carb. Using the proper size hose/line fill the float bowls through the vent. That way you can prime the engine with out spilling on the carb/engine and also to verify that the accelerator pump is working.
Please clink on these links for very important information. could save you and your car/house.

https://images.app.goo.gl/5K7oJVruyker6NsbA
https://images.app.goo.gl/E6MTjg1P4uoVBnMg9

That's to bad Beaner, it could've been a lot worse. Brother had problems upon start up as well. Fuel leaks, etc. Just note how much break in time has already been run and pick up where you left off.
FWIW- I take you didn't follow the Mofart's New build startup checklist? Good Luck
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/motor/22.html
That is a great check list. I will use it when I start my 318 for the first time on a month or so! Are you sure it is ok for you to call it Mofart's???? ;-)

Just to make you feel a little better, I installed a new engine, filled it up with all the fluids, got everything hooked up, brand new carb, exited to hear it run. Cranked and got an idle, so I shut it down to get myself ready to turn the distributor. With everything ready, I fired it up and saw the oil pressure drop as soon as I started to open the door. I panicked, what could cause that?

So I checked the wiring to the pressure sender, and it was still connected, I checked the fuses, all good. Then I looked down and I saw a dark blob creeping out from under the car. Yep, I had a massive oil leak, but didn't know where it was coming from. I pushed the car back out of the garage and threw a bag of kitty litter on the blob, and then assessed the car. It turned out that when the builder was putting the engine back together, he forgot to put the small plug in the port on the side of the block where the main oil pressure cavity was. (no, it wasn't a Mopar, but that's beside the point). After cleaning up the oil, plugging the block, and adding more oil, I started it up and everything went smoothly. But that damn oil spill...

Hey man! You were pretty gutsy to do an engine break in without a fellow car buddy nearby! I always have someone here, at least the Wife running the engine while I am under hood monitoring stuff.
I do not mean to make you feel bad though!
I have had trouble with at least half of my engine or cam break in experiences. No start, fuel leaks, oil leaks, water leaks, whatever! It sucks. Excessive cranking wipes the assembly lube from the cam and rapid wear can start right away. Somehow, despite having a few instances of a difficult start, those times the cam and lifters still were okay. The 3 times I ruined cams were easy break-ins! Strange.
I have done my break in during warm weather and had to do 3 sessions of 10 minutes each because the engine started getting too hot. I've used fans in front of the car but so often, the fuel starts bubbling in the filter and the engine starts to lose fuel pressure. Maybe I should advance the timing and richen the mixture just for break-in. Glowing headers during break-in means the engine needs more timing and maybe more fuel.
If you can, get someone to run the throttle while you can keep both eyes on the engine. I don't recall exactly where you live. There should be someone with the San Joaquin Valley Mopars that could lend a hand.

**********************************************************************************************************

I typed the above response last night just as the servers went down. I tried to post and post but the damn thing wouldn't go through.
It was still in the "Reply" box today so I am just leaving it as I wrote it.
Good luck.

You know I’m about 45 minutes from ya, I could up and help. But I only have 1 eye, so we would have 3 total looking at things!

Hey man! You were pretty gutsy to do an engine break in without a fellow car buddy nearby! I always have someone here, at least the Wife running the engine while I am under hood monitoring stuff.
I do not mean to make you feel bad though!
I have had trouble with at least half of my engine or cam break in experiences. No start, fuel leaks, oil leaks, water leaks, whatever! It sucks. Excessive cranking wipes the assembly lube from the cam and rapid wear can start right away. Somehow, despite having a few instances of a difficult start, those times the cam and lifters still were okay. The 3 times I ruined cams were easy break-ins! Strange.
I have done my break in during warm weather and had to do 3 sessions of 10 minutes each because the engine started getting too hot. I've used fans in front of the car but so often, the fuel starts bubbling in the filter and the engine starts to lose fuel pressure. Maybe I should advance the timing and richen the mixture just for break-in. Glowing headers during break-in means the engine needs more timing and maybe more fuel.
If you can, get someone to run the throttle while you can keep both eyes on the engine. I don't recall exactly where you live. There should be someone with the San Joaquin Valley Mopars that could lend a hand.

**********************************************************************************************************

I typed the above response last night just as the servers went down. I tried to post and post but the damn thing wouldn't go through.
It was still in the "Reply" box today so I am just leaving it as I wrote it.
Good luck.
Thanks Greg, I don't know how but most of mine have gone off without a hitch...of course I have 'when it rains it pours' kinda
luck so this experience fits right in! I had two coolant leaks; first the petcock leaked so I just plugged it. Then I was able to get enough water in to reveal the water neck leaking..lol. I made the comment to my wife 'when **** goes sideways for me it goes sideways in colossal fashion!' Shoulda kept my mouth shut! Ha..thanks man. And yeah all the F_BO sites have been going down at night, maybe the dudes in charge are doing some maintenance.

You know I’m about 45 minutes from ya, I could up and help. But I only have 1 eye, so we would have 3 total looking at things!
Thanks Zack I appreciate it man! I should have it covered now though. I bet your one good eye's better than most pairs people got anyway!

That might not be too far from wrong! Lol!

Auto Transport Service
Back