• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuilding 906 heads, run them or sell them?

TX73SE

Local time
6:44 AM
Reaction score
Just curious what you guys think a reworked set of 906 heads with new valves and upgrade springs are worth?

New stainless 2.14/1.81 valves and guides from machinist
Hughes 1106 springs

Bowls opened up by machinist for the bigger valves but not ported.

I can run them for a budget 451, but I also have a set of Victor jr. 440s I got a good deal on.

Just looking for what would be a fair price if I sold them or if I should just run them and sell my Victor Jr. 440s

Car will be mostly for cruising the streets and sporadic street exhibition of speeds.

Thanks in advance for your input.

IMG_5444.jpeg

IMG_5442.jpeg

IMG_5441.jpeg

IMG_5440.jpeg

I think if you are planning to RPM higher then stock, in a stroker, you will bottleneck with these. 451 is still bigger then a 440 remember, budget or not.
If you are going to keep it tame and mostly stock RMP level, these might do it. I guess if it was me and I already had some aftermarket on hand I would set the aftermarket up.

If I only had these, I would probably go for it instead of spending time and money looking for aftermarket(or just money if you buy brand new).

Ported out factory heads flow better then people like to think they do, but properly set up aftermarket(most of them anyway) start at that level. Some of the budget china knockoff heads are sketch and need help, but most of the reputable aftermarket heads will do at least 10cfm better then fully worked stockers, or maybe a wash depending on how far into the stockers you go. Not much really if you aren't going to push it hard and spin it up, but if you are planning on spinning 1000RPM beyond what they did from the factory it will show for sure.

Do you have rockers and hold down hardware for the Victor's. If not, price that out. And pushrods. It all adds up too. Oh, and the valve covers to run those.

Thanks for the replies guys

I do have the rockers for the Victor heads and the pushrods that he ran, I had them reworked as he dropped a valve in one and it needed repair.

For the 906s I don’t have rockers yet, but I planned to get either the old ductile iron adjustable or 440 source.

For the 906s I don’t have new pushrods, but had initially planned to run (and have purchased) the Hughes whiplash.
I now realize if I go the stroker route I’d need to switch cams.

My goals are respectably fast, but weekend cruiser friendly. Mainly cruising to car shows or taking the kids for a ride in an American muscle car.

69 roadrunner is what I plan to put the engine in.

Thanks for all the insights and input guys.

You do not have to switch cams for a stroker. It depends on what you want from the engine, max rpm etc. With the stroker, keeping the current cam, peak HP rpm will be lower but may still fit your goal.

You do not have to switch cams for a stroker. It depends on what you want from the engine, max rpm etc. With the stroker, keeping the current cam, peak HP rpm will be lower but may still fit your goal.
You’re correct sir. I should have said, when I decided to go the stroker route, the compression ratios changed where the whiplash cam wouldn’t be a good fit due to how it builds cylinder pressure for stock lower compression BB mopars.

I am still fine with the targeted rpm range of 1800-5500, but given the change in my goals and the fact I’m upgrading, it seems a better matched cam would make more sense.

Initially I had hoped to avoid full disassembling and rebuild, but now that I needed to I’m going to do a full build that’s worthwhile of the time and investment.

For your stated intended purpose, { Car will be mostly for cruising the streets and sporadic street exhibition of speeds.} it boils down to economics. Sell the higher value set of heads.

^^^^ agreed.
There's no point in putting Victor's on a 5500 rpm street engine. Those are decent looking 906s, probably more torque where you want it.
I just put a 440 victor motor in my car, they're kind of a pain in the *** to work around.

I appreciate the replies guys, I am starting to think that may make sense for me.

Once I get the call the machine work is done and I’m ordering pistons I’ll make a final decision but I am leaning that direction.

I’m not opposed buying cam with a little higher rpm range (6500 max), but I have zero desire to run a motor I need to wind up to 7k to make power.

I doubt it’ll ever see a drag strip unless it’s pulling up as a mode of transportation to watch the races.

Auto Transport Service
Back