• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rebuilt engine question

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:37 AM
Reaction score
sb 318,when I bought the car was told engine was rebuilt. Owner had No info
so my question is will an rebuilt engine idle if it was never broke in?

If you don't know then do the regular break-in procedure.

To answer your question yes if everything is correct it should idle.

How about disassemble everything, check it over, and then reassemble?

Thanks Don, I changed the intake gasket twice. Engine just wont idle under 900rpm. 2 different carbs and it acts the same. New wires plugs cap rotor and pro tronics. Was able to set timing so I know its close enough to idle. Did the second intake gasket today so I will be firing it up tomorrow.

How about disassemble everything, check it over, and then reassemble?
Might come down to that. Has a couple bad freeze plugs and he doesnt remember if the oil slinger was installed. Wanted to see if the tranny works. thats why I have not pulled the engine.

Double check the firing order.
I usually listen to the exhaust.
Next try pulling a plug wire at a time. (We had a couple bad plugs right out of the box on Stormtroopers Charger)
Compression test.

I wouldn't just yank it out until I know where the problem is.
Could be something simple.

I did do a compression test and was in 10 an all 8.. It does not miss at high RPMs . Should I still check the wires?

Does it shake at all?
Another thing you can check is start it cold run it about 30 seconds and check the heat on the exhuast ports.

Yes it doesn't hurt anything (but you if you get shocked) to pull them one at a time at idle.
Rubber gloves if you have some and keep the other hand off the car.

Does it shake at all?
Another thing you can check is start it cold run it about 30 seconds and check the heat on the exhuast ports.

Yes it doesn't hurt anything (but you if you get shocked) to pull them one at a time at idle.
Rubber gloves if you have some and keep the other hand off the car.
no shake and thats why Im at a loss. I have a third carb to eliminate carb problem. Guess I will find out tomorrow and thanks for the advice.

All vacs blocked off so I have not checked the vacuum , I believe it was a leak on intake.

Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 8.26.18 PM.png

Pull the carb and look in the intake real good with a light. May be cracked or have a plug out if it’s an egr model. Do u gave 5&7 or 8&4 wires crossed?Kim

Wires are good,did notice a gouge on one side of the flat piece on bottom. pic for reference
1691338511623.png

Well I guess it was a intake leak , drove her 15 feet and then backed her up. No brakes but
1691342575324.png

Auto Transport Service
Back