• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Receiver hitch

diesel_lv

Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
I've seen several references here to a Dakota p/u receiver hitch being used on 66/67 B bodies. I cannot find any post of one actually being used/done. I want to mount one to pull my '76 jet boat periodically. Before someone asks why... "Because I want to." Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Some of those were me.

Dakota and certain f150 call for the same hitch specs. this means there are a LOT of potential hitches available in all sorts of configurations.
Some have the horizontal mount surfaces inboard of the vertical and some outboard.

Look carefully at your frame channel area and what is on either side of it, and try to envision what a prospective hitch would look like with the vertical mount surfaces against your frame channels.

The Dakota and presumably f150 frame is quite a bit taller than a 66/67 B body frame channel.
This also limits your choice.

As stated in another thread- I found a yard sale class II hitch that's almost a perfect fit. I wish it had a brand/model sticker on it.
I only need to grind off about 3/4" of one mount area to clear something (I forget what) on the underside of my 67 wagon.

Just a thought. Make a model using 2'' plastic pipe t's and elbows to get measurements and fit.
Next is a trip to Pic-A-Parts.They usually have a pile of hitches removed from trucks and find one that is close to your measurements.
Sometimes They have universal class 3 hitches that slide in or out to fit frame rails that bolt together. I have one of those on my old truck.

I did some measuring and ordered a Reese multi fit. Once it gets here I'll know for sure, but looks like it should fit and tuck up under the license plate nicely. Once installed, I'll take pics n update. Should arrive next Thursday-ish.

Auto Transport Service
Back