• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rechrome Cragar S/S Wheels

Thank you gentlemen for your comments!! To say I'm pleased is an understatement. When I first got this car it was my daily driver and the wheels got all sorts of abuse from the weather and elements. I used to live in the SF Bay Area with the salt air there too and it was a problem for anything chrome. Now I live in the high desert of Oregon and the car in it's retired years lives in a garage so the car and wheels will certainly outlast me now. I'll post a picture of them on the car when I get the tires mounted and new lug nuts. :thumbsup:

Well gentlemen, I'm excited to report that after five and a half months I got my wheels back and they are better then new. The wheels were disassembled so the aluminum centers could go in one process and the steel wheels would go to another. The quality of the chrome AND the welds is superior!! I could not he happier and they kept to their original estimate of $565 each. I've included a picture of the back side as they polished the rim and chromed it too. The back side did not look like this on the original wheel. The folks that recognize the original old school Cragar S/S will recognize these and be amazed. Thank you all for your support though this project. Just ordered a new set of P245/60R 14 BF Goodrich Radial T/A's.

For those that read this down the line and want to know where I had this done well here is their contact information:
Stockton Wheel Works
648 W. Fremont Street
Stockton, California 95203
800-395-9433

View attachment 1262467 View attachment 1262469 View attachment 1262470 View attachment 1262471
I've always wondered how the aluminum centers were attached to the steel rims. Do they use a bi-metallic transition strip?

I've always wondered how the aluminum centers were attached to the steel rims. Do they use a bi-metallic transition strip?
From what I gather is that Cragar cast a steel strip into the aluminum center. This strip of steels is then welded to the steel wheel. Now after talking to the guys at Stockton Wheel apparently the outside rig of the aluminum center is a tight fight to the steel rim so the weight transfer of the car goes through the aluminum center to the outer edged of the aluminum center and to the steel wheel. The steel inserts that are cast into the center just hold that center in position within the wheel. An interesting design that you wouldn't think about unless like you had to have the wheels disassembled for some repair work or chrome as I have. I'm so glad I did this and my Plymouth should be off the jackstands in a few days. I can't wait to get pictures of the "new" wheels on the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back