• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendations on remanufactured engine. Slant 6

Casey

Local time
9:19 AM
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a remanufactured slant 6. The one in my 63 330 is about as used as it can be. Would prefer to go to the second gen slant if I could (67-74?). I’m not looking for a hot rod motor. This is my daily driver and I just want a direct replacement that will give me years of reliable 50 mile round trip days. I have done some minimal research and know most of the places and prices. Just wondering if anyone recommends any of the remanufactures or is there any I should stay away from. Thanks for any help.

Honest, You need to fine a local that rebuilds engines.On line companies have pretty bad reputations .
Or find a local auto repair shop that uses Jasper remans. Some shops have good luck with them.
From what I remember you cannot buy direct from Jasper thus having to go thru the repair shop that have accounts with them. Really a crap shoot.

I bought a Ford pick up once. It had one of those rebuilt motors, and with 18,000 miles on the clock, it cracked pistons. I took it to a local machine shop and said my motor is blowing oil. The lady behind the counter said you have broken pistons, and then told me how the outfit I bought it from rebuilds them.
She said they punch them all out to .040 because that cleans almost all bores and they use the absolute cheapest parts they can source. I fixed it in-chassis, leaving the crank alone, but replaced rod. Bearings rings, pistons, and lifters. It's still running around as far as I know.

Honest, You need to fine a local that rebuilds engines.On line companies have pretty bad reputations .
Or find a local auto repair shop that uses Jasper remans. Some shops have good luck with them.
From what I remember you cannot buy direct from Jasper thus having to go thru the repair shop that have accounts with them. Really a crap shoot.
Thanks, the local shop is definitely an option. Was just considering going the “easier” route if I could just get it all done in one shot. Also I was hoping on a second gen slant. Not for any big reasons just a few minor ones. I don’t believe jasper even offers the slant anymore and I don’t want someone else installing it anyway. Thanks for your input.

I'd ask the same thing over at FABO, if you havent already done so. There was no shortage of slant sixes used in "B" bodies, but I do hear a whole lot more chat about them from the "A" body guys.

Research local machine shops, ask around for recommendations, usually guys in local car clubs have experience with them.

Thanks, the local shop is definitely an option. Was just considering going the “easier” route if I could just get it all done in one shot. Also I was hoping on a second gen slant. Not for any big reasons just a few minor ones. I don’t believe jasper even offers the slant anymore and I don’t want someone else installing it anyway. Thanks for your input.
Being in Illinois, you can ship a motor affordably from many States west of you using Speedee delivery. I had a 500 pound 4 cylinder shipped 700 miles for $190 including the $50 Tommy lift charge. I was happy with the price. You might also ask the machine shops if they have one laying around. Shops get stuck with a rebuild once in a while. I got a nicely done with some cool parts 351c for $2500 that way. After a year they offered a payment plan and the guy said no, so they offered it to me for what was owed. A fresh, warmed up 351? Hell, yeah

Auto Transport Service
Back