• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommended drive shaft for oil and fuel pump?

Jonas Nordstrom

Local time
12:41 PM
Reaction score
Getting all the parts I need to put my close to stock 440 together.
I remember reading posts about failing fuel pump rods etc...

So what part # should I get for a high quality fuel pump rod and the oil pump drive shaft (Pressed or pinned?) ?

Thanks.

Do you still have your original fuel pump pushrod? If so measure it, if it's 3.22 use it.... No replacement seems to be better than a good original...

For the fuel pump pushrod, find an original.

You can get a good one direct from mopar

Comp has a hardened fuel pump push rod, some have had issue with it, some haven’t. A stock one in good shape won’t do you wrong

3B182DDD-F0D2-4A32-B553-62564873EDB7.png

You might want to consider running a #10 gauge wire back to the trunk in case you decide to go electric fuel pump. That is , unless your interior is finished. I’ve done this since my first electric fuel pump car. Sometimes I have used it , sometimes not. If you never use it , you aren’t out much for doing it.

You might want to consider running a #10 gauge wire back to the trunk in case you decide to go electric fuel pump. That is , unless your interior is finished. I’ve done this since my first electric fuel pump car. Sometimes I have used it , sometimes not. If you never use it , you aren’t out much for doing it.

It will be a mech pump for me.
Though finding an old stock push rod doesnt seem so easy. :)

I read this thread with interest. My 440 engine came with the car although was pieced together and was a replacement. I have a fuel pump rod but have no idea if it is the original factory piece. From what I have read here, a good used factory piece is preferred over the replacements. I also have a new one from 440 Source and have compared the dimensions.

In the attached picture, the one on the left is the old one and the new one from 440 Source is on the right. The old one has a machined recess groove in the middle of the wear surface. Does that identify it as a factory piece? The dimensions are as follows: Old - 4.334" dia. and 3.220" long. New - 4.333" dia and 3.237" long.

The old one appears to be in good condition and the wear surfaces are highly polished (not galled) and with very little accumulated wear. Is the old one factory? Should I use the old one?

Thanks for the help and wisdom!

440 fuel pump rod_edited.jpg

I would run the old one and never think about it again, if you use the new one i would strongly suggest taking it out and checking it after a couple thousand miles. I believe they measure 3.225 from the factory.

I read this thread with interest. My 440 engine came with the car although was pieced together and was a replacement. I have a fuel pump rod but have no idea if it is the original factory piece. From what I have read here, a good used factory piece is preferred over the replacements. I also have a new one from 440 Source and have compared the dimensions.

In the attached picture, the one on the left is the old one and the new one from 440 Source is on the right. The old one has a machined recess groove in the middle of the wear surface. Does that identify it as a factory piece? The dimensions are as follows: Old - 4.334" dia. and 3.220" long. New - 4.333" dia and 3.237" long.

The old one appears to be in good condition and the wear surfaces are highly polished (not galled) and with very little accumulated wear. Is the old one factory? Should I use the old one?

Thanks for the help and wisdom!

View attachment 1259880
I agree with Dan64. That original rod would be going in my motor.

Alrighty then! The old one is it. Did you confirm whether that groove was a factory marking? I suppose if the old rod measures 3.220", the it only wore .005" for as long as it was in there. I don't know how long that was, but had to have been a few miles. Wonder why the new one is .012" longer?

Alrighty then! The old one is it. Did you confirm whether that groove was a factory marking? I suppose if the old rod measures 3.220", the it only wore .005" for as long as it was in there. I don't know how long that was, but had to have been a few miles. Wonder why the new one is .012" longer?
I have several original pump rods and none of them have a groove. I would imagine that they had different manufacturers back in the day though.

20220325_104758.jpg

Interestingly, the wear pattern on your originals look very similar to mine. Highly polished at the ends. Strange that they can put a man on the moon, but cannot recreated a simple mechanical rod with the same properties as the original. I would imagine most would pay a decent amount for the high quality unit.

Thanks!

Strange that they can put a man on the moon, but cannot recreated a simple mechanical rod with the same properties as the original.
BUT, when was the last time they put a man on the moon??

Auto Transport Service
Back