• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommended Gear Oil

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:04 AM
Reaction score
I have to change out the rear end lube after running some 500 miles on a rebuild. I saw "Royal Purple" brand at the auto store and it's more than twice the cost of other lubes. Anyone have experience with this oil or suggestions? Thanks!

I have to change out the rear end lube after running some 500 miles on a rebuild. I saw "Royal Purple" brand at the auto store and it's more than twice the cost of other lubes. Anyone have experience with this oil or suggestions? Thanks!

I am not sure the gear set you have. Most mfrs have a recommendation for gear oil. I just rebuilt a Chevy rear with GM brand gears and a new Detroit TrueTrac unit. I used Valvoline GL5 rated 80w-90. Could have gone synthetic, but stayed with mineral oil.

Oil questions are usually answered 11 different ways from 10 different people. My infinitely educated and vastly experienced wisdom is that a synthetic is always a better choice. Royal purple is synthetic. Will the car be raced or driven rarely like a grandmother would. Regular old Valvoline will be fine but the synthetic will be better for extreme use like hard launches and high speed.

Thanks for the tips and link to posts on this. Well I had heard the GM additive was good though more are saying Ford. I have run all Mopar lube and their additive and have that in it now (3:55 Sure Grip). I've always had the wobbly plate noise and have the same friggin noise with the rebuild so must be something else in the train causing the sound. Sure thought it was the ring gear. Drive it about six months a year (WI) and if I run it 100 miles in a given day that's pretty unusual to drive it that far.

When I got my Dana 60 from Mark Williams there was a note saying not to run sinthitic gear lube. Said it would void any warranty. Travis from Mark Williams said they can tell if you run sinthitic. They sent 90 wt with it.

Thanks for the tips and link to posts on this. Well I had heard the GM additive was good though more are saying Ford. I have run all Mopar lube and their additive and have that in it now (3:55 Sure Grip). I've always had the wobbly plate noise and have the same friggin noise with the rebuild so must be something else in the train causing the sound. Sure thought it was the ring gear. Drive it about six months a year (WI) and if I run it 100 miles in a given day that's pretty unusual to drive it that far.

I think in WI you need to run the "curd" modifier. Keeps the noise down.

I think in WI you need to run the "curd" modifier. Keeps the noise down.
Oh...yeah thanks! Should I run cheddar or Swiss? Wait American would be more patriotic huh?

Auto Transport Service
Back