• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rehrenburg Master cylinder Any Good? +???

cj's mopar

Local time
2:59 PM
Reaction score
I purchased this modern aluminum master cylinder from a known good ebay seller.
I have questions about the outlet ports
I have read the aluminum master cylinder has the port farther away from the fire wall is for the front brakes . Is that correct? If so that would be reversed from my cast iron dual master .
Working on a 68 power brake charger for my dad . Just need to know if the modern aluminum master ports are reversed from the old.school .
Can't tell because of the black plastic tank does not seam bigger like the original had one big resivor.
Just want to do this correct and not mess up.
Thanks guys for the help.

IMG_20230306_180027.jpg

No they are nor reversed. Front reservoir is for the rear and rear reservoir is for the front. That's why the line ports are also different sizes.

Not on the master in the picture the plastic tank has equal. Size

The cast iron masters are the same as the aluminum as far as reservoirs go. Front is rear and rear is front.

Last edited:
Just got some.confusing.info.
This instructions messed my mind up.
thanks for the info

Screenshot_2023-03-06-18-10-44-08_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg

There was a thread on here not that long ago about the exact same thing. Apparently there is an aluminum master being sold that does indeed have the ports reversed. I don't know about the one you have, but Dr. Diffs are correct.

The man who sold me the part for back to me and said the port closer to fire wall is front brakes and the master cylinder I bought needs no modifications.
Completely bolt on and For b body's cars
I am changing the master because the old one was leaking out the back.

The man who sold me the part for back to me and said the port closer to fire wall is front brakes and the master cylinder I bought needs no modifications.
Completely bolt on and For b body's cars
I am changing the master because the old one was leaking out the back.
He is correct.

Just got some.confusing.info.
This instructions messed my mind up.
thanks for the info

View attachment 1429860

I have one of the Mancini 1 1/8 bore masters, I believe they are made by Strange. When I read the instructions that came with it I noticed that it said it was for a 4 wheel disc brake system. That may be why the ports are reversed. I ended up buying a Dorman master for a Volare with a manual disc/drum system which is 1 1/32 bore.

Master Mancini.jpg

Master Dorman.jpg

I have one of the Mancini 1 1/8 bore masters, I believe they are made by Strange. When I read the instructions that came with it I noticed that it said it was for a 4 wheel disc brake system. That may be why the ports are reversed. I ended up buying a Dorman master for a Volare with a manual disc/drum system which is 1 1/32 bore.

View attachment 1429938

View attachment 1429939
The only reason the ports are different is because it is a race design. Why who knows. It was not designed as a factory replacement.

View attachment 1429938

View attachment 1429939
Do you have the dorman part number? I tried ordering centric from rock auto for the same application, twice, and each time it cam with the slanted dodge omni Plymouth horizon style resovoir. Rock auto lists one by dynamic friction too but I’m worried it will arrive like the others…

Dorman M99294
Thanks! Did you put it on a manual brake or power brake car? I’m not 100% sure if the manual push Rod is the same diameter as the power brake one etc. and if the bore of the master cylinder accommodates the manual brake push rod rubber piece that inserts Into the bore

My car had manual drum brakes. I made sure that master has the groove to accept the rubber retaining ring on the manual pushrod. It is currently on the bench waiting to be installed soon.

My car had manual drum brakes. I made sure that master has the groove to accept the rubber retaining ring on the manual pushrod. It is currently on the bench waiting to be installed soon.
Thanks so Much. I think I’ll order one up. Did it ship with the grommet or did you get separately? Any good sources to get the grommet with out a ton of shipping and brokerage? (I’m in Canada too). Maybe you did/ or one could make the grommet?

The one on eBay is the one I bought came with the rubber grommet

I forgot to check the box this morning. Hopefully I will remember tonight.

I checked today and there was no retaining ring in the box, just a couple of plastic plugs for the outlet ports. I have one from a previous master.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back