• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remote control trunk release

toolmanmike

Henchman #2
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:41 PM
Reaction score
I bet I get into my trunk 2 or 3 dozen times on a car show weekend. Why not have a remote control? I bought a used electric latch from a newer Mopar, bolted it in and wired up the transmitter/receiver that I bought off Ebay for less than $10. Works great and no more fumbling for my keys or scratching the paint.

remote.jpg 20190622_121106.jpg 20190622_115448.jpg

Awesome! What was the newer donor Mopar?
I don't even know. I just bought it from a guy on FABO if I remember correctly. I would imagine many of the 80's Mopars would have one on. I think Classic Industries has them for around $50.

The Diplomats and 5th Avenue cars used them too.

Can you list the part # and manufacturer of the remote. I see the Songle name but couldn’t pin point the one you used.
That’s ingenious and so handy. Sharp blue paint job too!

I think I grabbed one out of a C-body. Fit right in. I just recently posted on the Members Projects and Restorations thread (1968 Coronet RT) about how lucky I got running the wire for mine through the trunk lid. How did you run your wiring? I got a 3 channel remote. The other 2 channels are for lock/unlock the doors. Same reason as you stated for the trunk opener apply to door locks. I used after market actuators.

Last edited:
I added an electric lock setup from a late 80s 5th Ave car into the Charger years ago. The button is inside the console under the lid.
My Brother in law wanted it different. We used a pull cable and ran it through the car. It isn't finished yet but will be just forward of the LH seat belt retractor. I welded over the trunk lock hole too.

0165.JPG
DSCN1619.JPG

That is a GREAT idea. I might have a another winter project to do...how much of a hassle is installing power door locks?

The hardest part is finding a suitable place in the door to bolt in the actuators. mine came with a small clamp that you use to attach the actuator arm to the door linkage. One hassle you might not have thought of is that you have to run wires between the car door jamb and the door. My car has power windows, so I just added the wires to the window power harness.

I think I grabbed one out of a C-body. Fit right in. I just recently posted on the Members Projects and Restorations thread (1968 Coronet RT) about how lucky I got running the wire for mine through the trunk lid. How did you run your wiring? I got a 3 channel remote. The other 2 channels are for lock/unlock the doors. Same reason as you stated for the trunk opener apply to door locks. I used after market actuators.
I used a piece of mechanics wire to fish the wire through. Power locks would be a great addition as well.

I'm shocked by how cheap this is!

Boy that’s my luck, it’s out of stock. I’ll keep an eye out for it or use another. But Thanks for answering my question. I just bought the power lock mechanism so your post was timely for me.
haywire
I'm sure there are hundreds of different ones. Mine didn't come with instructions but Google and You tube to the rescue. I assembled things loosely first and drew a schematic.

Auto Transport Service
Back