• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removable steering wheel

65 3 times

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
I need to convert to a removable steering wheel for entry clearance. I have used and can find stuff for solid race columns but I want to retain factory column. I can use either factory or aftermarket wheel but need a large diameter because of manual steer. Any Ideas..or thoughts. Thanks....Dave (I do not want to weld to end of factory column)

Build another complete column, if you want to retain and not alter factory stuff.

Get an adapter to bolt to the OE column &
weld {or drill & bolt} the quick disconnect & new steering wheel connection to it

I used the OE column. I repaced the shaft with .750x.083 molt tube. The upper bowl is gutted and glued back on to an aluminum disk cut from .125" aluminum. The bowl is now just a cover The top part of the column is a aluminum tube holding a bearing. The adapter bolts to the wheel and the hex is welded to the shaft. Pics tell the story.
Doug

I27.jpg I28.jpg I34.jpg I29.jpg I36.JPG

I need to convert to a removable steering wheel for entry clearance. I have used and can find stuff for solid race columns but I want to retain factory column. I can use either factory or aftermarket wheel but need a large diameter because of manual steer. Any Ideas..or thoughts. Thanks....Dave (I do not want to weld to end of factory column)
Grant Industries used to make a removable steering wheel adapter for stock steering columns, used as a theft prevention thing...they may still make it?

I am always humbled by the skill and knowledge available on this site. Thank you all. I ordered a Grant
GRT-3021 adaptor. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/grt-3021 I will let you know how this works out.
Once again Thank You all. (pictures really help. We always see new methods and skills)

I used the OE column. I repaced the shaft with .750x.083 molt tube. The upper bowl is gutted and glued back on to an aluminum disk cut from .125" aluminum. The bowl is now just a cover The top part of the column is a aluminum tube holding a bearing. The adapter bolts to the wheel and the hex is welded to the shaft. Pics tell the story.
Doug

View attachment 332186 View attachment 332187 View attachment 332188 View attachment 332189 View attachment 332190

Stop freaking teasing me with that work of art. Geez.

You know how bad I want that in my 65 Plymouth.

Auto Transport Service
Back