• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

removal of rear seatback

MidniteXprss

Local time
2:39 PM
Reaction score
hey guys I have an interesting one here. I was going through my factory manual and searching the boards. its time for a big binford salute :icon_salut: to google! no but seriously i cant get into my trunk because the latch mech is messed. so to replace it need to get in from the rear. got the seat bottom out. but the top is held in place by what looks like two clips holding two rods? right under where the seat bottom was. its strange ill post pics tomorrow. but i was wondering if i could simply pry them free or if any of you guys know a better procedure.

if it helps my car is a 66 belvedere II sedan
thanks for your time and any help is appreciated.

Yes bend them straight and pull the seat forward off of them. They are tough, you may need pliers. Once it is forward off the tabs, lift / pop the seat back upwards to release from the top.

Much easier to remove the the seat back if you remove the rear armrests also. Still not going to be easy to get to the trunk latch with the seat out.

If you are not very big it can be done. Take a per of pliers to turn the lock and a light with you. Hope that trunk is not full of stuff.

Try pushing the top of the seat back down, and pulling forward. Kinda spring-loaded. You get the top un-hooked, and it should slip out.

Took the back seat out of my 66 Satellite this morning. Bottom of seat is down in 1st pic, to top on 2nd & right in 3. Screw goes through tab holding bottom of seat back to verticle part of floor pan. Pull bottom of back out toward you & drop back down.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 168
thanks a ton guys. the pliers to bend the retaining tab worked and then it was just push up pull out. however I am just a bit to big to squeeze into the trunk with the space that is open. so im going to get a friend of mine to squeeze his tiny self in and pop the latch. poor guy owes me a favor. worst case scenario I have to ask my sister to do the job but she is so ridiculously small we send her into the crawlspace in the attic. but again thanks to everyone. 66satellite47 the mounting on my sedan is just a little different but I really do appreciate the help, for others who need to do the same thing I could post some detail pictures of the mounts. it may help someone else in the future right? although I wish it was just bolts those bend tabs look like if I try to reuse them they'll snap.

The other thing is if you / he / she cant pop the latch, just take a ratchet in with you and undo the bolts holding the latch on. Have someone hold the trunk lid though, it may spring up!

update on the latch issue we found a locksmith who weighs 79 lbs soaking wet. guy could follow a roach through a wall. friday we get the trunk popped and the passenger door re-keyed to match the driver side. total damage ~ $25 im gonna start a thread and update it as I do more work on "lucy blue". oh pulling the seats found the build sheet. freakin metal :headbang:

normally i'm not up this late by choice but, professors :edgy:, what are ya gonna do?

Auto Transport Service
Back