• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remove Anodizing

Hemi-itis, Take a look at the photos in my profile. There is one pic of the front end. I can take a closer pic if you need it. I also have another pic of the grille half done in my phone but I have to download it with some assistance from my better half. As stated the auminum will need regular polishing to look shiney but it looks very close to chrome. I also did my headlight rings cause the anodizing was wearing off. This was a nice low cost alternative to chroming, it just took some time and elbow grease.

This is all good info. I bought some anodize remover from the Eastwood Co.
I will let you guys know how it works.
http://www.eastwood.com/

All the pictures I see in the forum look nice, but I have a question.
Do you guys clear coat (anodize) after your happy with the polishing?

Here is the grille after the easy off, half polished

Attachments

• Grill.jpg
    Grill.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 292
From what I understand clear coat will peel from bare aluminum however I have seen some ads for Sharkhide that is supposed to last for a year or so before polishing again. Happy polishing!!!

I have found that sears carries the pads and polish individually. I was in a pinch for some polish one day and found it there.

Someone said before on this site a couple reasons to not clear coat after polished, I didn't do it to mine.. Just try to keep up with a cleaner and polish everything should be ok.. JMO... I only use polish to try to keep it all looking decent... Good luck with it!

Hemi-itis, Take a look at the photos in my profile. There is one pic of the front end. I can take a closer pic if you need it. I also have another pic of the grille half done in my phone but I have to download it with some assistance from my better half. As stated the auminum will need regular polishing to look shiney but it looks very close to chrome. I also did my headlight rings cause the anodizing was wearing off. This was a nice low cost alternative to chroming, it just took some time and elbow grease.

Grille lookd GREAT!,I tried to use a commercial buffing machine just holding the sill plate.The machine ripped it out of my hands causing some bends i was NOT looking for.I put gloves on and tried again with the same result.Brought them back to my shop and used the die-grinder after screwing them onto some 2x4's and they came out,,,,,,,alright,just not as nice as I was hopeing for.

Attachments

• 5.27.12 014.jpg
    5.27.12 014.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 282
  • 5.27.12 015.jpg
    5.27.12 015.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 284
  • 5.27.12 017.jpg
    5.27.12 017.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 274
Here is the grille after the easy off, half polished

eric, That looks great! Im going to use some of that Easy off and try it this way on some extra parts i have.. If it shines that good its well worth a try for sure..

Ron, after using the easy off the fun has just begun. If there are any scratches or pitting then start sanding. If it's not too bad start with 1000 grit then 1500 and finally 2000. I prefer to wet sand. Depending on what polishing compound you are using you might be able to just use the 1000 grit. try some samples and see what works for you. I really like using a die grinder for polishing. I bet I have 8 hours into the grill from start to finish and when it looks a little dull I just give it some hand polishing. Good luck!

That looks really good amazing how it removes the anodizing. After you polish can you coat it with clear coat of some kind to stop the corrosion? And what kind do you recommend.

Bare alumimin or re-anodize

I got great info. from this thread for removing the anodizing. lots of shinny parts. Are you guys leaving the aluminum bare or re-anodizing?
I understand the steps - straitening, stripping, buffing, etching, re-anodize. Any info. on the re-anodizing, is it just automotive clear?
My anodize remover from EASTWOOD has arrived, I will let you know how it works.

After final polishing I wouldn't spray it with any coating. If it fails now you have to remove it all.. Just use a good metal polish once in a while to keep it looking good. The ad I saw for the product Sharkhide said this coating lasts for a year. I've never used it cause I don't mind polishing with Mothers or Flitz, etc.

Ron, after using the easy off the fun has just begun. If there are any scratches or pitting then start sanding. If it's not too bad start with 1000 grit then 1500 and finally 2000. I prefer to wet sand. Depending on what polishing compound you are using you might be able to just use the 1000 grit. try some samples and see what works for you. I really like using a die grinder for polishing. I bet I have 8 hours into the grill from start to finish and when it looks a little dull I just give it some hand polishing. Good luck!

Ill give all this a try when i do it, right now im a bit couch ridden with a bad foot so im not doing much other then reading, i think, about every post on this site, well that and a whole bunch of movies and car shows! lol... you'll have these times but thanks for the heads up! :)

After final polishing I wouldn't spray it with any coating. If it fails now you have to remove it all.. Just use a good metal polish once in a while to keep it looking good. The ad I saw for the product Sharkhide said this coating lasts for a year. I've never used it cause I don't mind polishing with Mothers or Flitz, etc.

Ive read here somewhere, that putting anything on is not really a good idea, i cant remember all the reasons givin but the best thing is to just keep it polished up and it should stay good for a long time. just sayin, don't want someone to maybe a couple months down the line have to re do things.. :)

After you spend hours and hours to get yer stuff real nice,maintainance is really easy.I just did my rear rims in a half an hour,like putting wax on and buffing it off.I have alot of aluminum between my flat bed and the car:happy7:

Attachments

• 4.10.12 023.jpg
    4.10.12 023.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 113-1328_IMG.JPG2R2.jpg
    113-1328_IMG.JPG2R2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_2270.JPG
    IMG_2270.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 242
I used the Eastwood product and it worked fine(along with plenty of scotch brite pads)Bought a gallon still have 3 qts. left

Auto Transport Service
Back