• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remove Anodizing

64spconvert

Local time
1:31 PM
Reaction score
It seems there are a number of ways to remove the anodizing from trim. From EASY OFF (yellow can) to LYE.
I am thinking to purchase a quart of anodizing remover from Eastwood.
Has anyone had luck with any of these?

Sodium Hydroxide is the key ingredient in oven cleaner that takes the anodize off. We use a floor cleaner at work called ZEP, and it is loaded with this stuff. I borrowed some and it worked like a charm. I see it's offered in Grainger for about $24 per gallon.

I'm not sure how that compares to the Eastwood stuff, but it would be an alternative.

I used about 3 cans of Easy Off on my 63 grill along with some 3M scuff pads after I let the Easy Off work on the anodizing. Then some wet sanding and finally some buffs on the end of a die grinder with some polishing compound. Just make sure you wash off the back side of the grill after using the Easy Off so it doesn't keep working on it.

If there small parts submerge them muratic acid till they stop bubbling then put them in a contianer with water and baking soda then rinse them off, cheap and easy!!

I used about 3 cans of Easy Off on my 63 grill along with some 3M scuff pads after I let the Easy Off work on the anodizing. Then some wet sanding and finally some buffs on the end of a die grinder with some polishing compound. Just make sure you wash off the back side of the grill after using the Easy Off so it doesn't keep working on it.

Eric,could you post some pic's of your finished work??I'm debating to do the grille and stuff on my 63.:eusa_think:

Here's mine after using easy off and welding 2 grills to make the superstock grill.

Attachments

• 552012 003.jpg
    552012 003.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 594
That looks pretty good:headbang:
I want that polished aluminum look to go with the rest of the "bling"

Attachments

• 2009-04-24-1725-39_edited.jpg
    2009-04-24-1725-39_edited.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 567
I used a product from www.bluelightning.com called anodize remover. Its kinda pricy but works well. I also used ZEP degreaser purchased from home depot in a gallon container for about $12. The trick to using these products is adding the product to very hot water. I used an old dutch oven type pot, added the zep(caustic) and nearly boiling water. Then i applied with an old paint brush. After thoroughly washing, I wet sanded some parts with 1500 grit and polished with an aluminum polishing kit from eastwood or similar.

If not re anodizing, then polishing will be required on a yearly basis at least to keep the aluminum from oxidizing. mine is due right now. I used this on my 66 coronet grill and trunk trim.

Check out www.caswellplating.com, they offer a lot of cool stuff for our hobby.

I just picked up a pair of dorr sill plates for my '63.Tried to polish,but they did not come out as nice as I would like.:angryfire:

Attachments

• 5.27.12 018.jpg
    5.27.12 018.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 559
i had fantastic luck removing it with purple power by accident, dont ask.... ugh but i promise u it will take it off!!!

kidmopar, please due tell... I just bought a gallon of this and..... thought about using it ?

Here is a couple things i used 124 buffing compound to do, the sill plate at top isint done and bottom one started..
Road_Runner_and_Camaro_09820Small.gif

2nd is headlight bezels. NICE looking cars Hemi-itis and 5.7!!
Road_Runner_and_Camaro_096mmn20Smal-2.gif

My sill plates are pitted in the grooves,If I could sand 'em out they would be too thin.I'm thinking about buying new ones at Carlisle next week:eusa_think:

Attachments

• 5.27.12 016.jpg
    5.27.12 016.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 538
  • 5.27.12 032.jpg
    5.27.12 032.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 564
  • 5.27.12 030.jpg
    5.27.12 030.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 527
  • 5.27.12 012.jpg
    5.27.12 012.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 515
Ron,how did you hold those pieces??Did you screw them down to something like I did?

Attachments

• Snouts 001.jpg
    Snouts 001.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 532
oh yea purple power took the coating off the coil springs and hardware on my duster when i went to clean it. i mean it took it all right off after i sprayed it good and rinsed it off at the car wash!!! i wasnt happy....

Hemi-itus, The buffing i did on that small buffing bench, i call it... I just hold onto the pieces and hit the switch on it and away ya go... You can see the small 1/4 hp motor on the corner there with the pad on it.. You just need to be careful they don't fly out of your hand.

I did go over my front bumper with it on, but it really has to come off the car to do it good.. I used the drill and pad to do it.. Thanks snakeoil24, Just some time, once you get whats needed, it isint bad work to do, propwash here is the buffing king i think :), ive seen his work he has it down pat, Its in his "Family Tradition" thread in restos section, i have no idea what page now..

so who do I buy the pads and polishing compound from???

Here is the site i used to buy pads and compounds.. The second site is one i had but never bought anything from them.. I don't remember the pad info i bought now, i got 3 different types and the compounds i called about and they told me to try the 124 brick which is what i used on these things. The 124 is a large brick and yellow in color, the ones you see are for other things ive tried, it came as a kit of 4-5 different small bricks.. Id suggest calling them and tell them what you need to do and go from there, i can only tell you what i used and how it worked, which im happy about.. Look around this site im sure you'll find plenty of info on what everything's for, its been a long time now since i bought from them.. Good luck..

https://www.swmetal.com/cart/buffs

http://www.dicoproducts.com/compounds.html

Auto Transport Service
Back