• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remove paint from 67 plastic glovebox door

67CoronetR/T

Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any products that remove the paint from the plastic dash parts without melting the plastic? I tried plastic/vinyl paint remover before and it didn't work out too well for me. Some guy at Nats told me that easy off oven cleaner works well. I tried that and all it seems to do is just clean off dirt. Any suggestions? Thanks!

i've used goof off 2 (water based) for interior parts and it's worked great for me...

GTX Interior (34).jpg

I removed both the original paint plus a layer of respray from a 1970 RR instrument panel by soaking it in brake fluid. It worked great, didn't damage the plastic, and took off the paint down to the base chrome flashing. After the brake fluid wrinkled it up, I used a toothbrush to scrub away the paint.

-=Photon440=-

My 70 GTX had 2pak paint on most of the dash plastics [and also on the steeering wheel, A pillar and front A pillar speaker panels etc etc..[#!*#].
They looked lurverly [not] Real shiney orange like they were clear coated. What a dilema. I took my glovebox door to a Soda blaster to try, as It was the only replacement I had in for factory Orange interior. He blasted it and it did not effect the grain finish or damage the plastic at all. I took the other parts down and they all came out like mint originals.[No doubt he used a lower pressure setting] I need to do the dashpad and console next.
Id say no to chemicals and a definate yes to Soda blasting!

cheers Dave

before ...yeeesh!
usa2010269_zps46f81fe4.jpg

You can see the dashpad is waiting to be restored, you can see the guy painted the pad too [double doh!]
GTX20Dash_zps887deb3d.jpg

Here you can see the plastics installed after the Soda blasting. They can look a little 'dry', but I prefer the tire shine look stays on the tires! Over-all its a 100% improvement.
DSCF2009_zpseab33ee6.jpg

My 70 GTX
Here you can see the plastics installed after the Soda blasting. They can look a little 'dry', but I prefer the tire shine look stays on the tires! Over-all its a 100% improvement
edited

thanks orange interior look great! First one i've ever seen. What's exterior, burnt orange, Tor-Red, White?

Oven cleaner should work nicely. Test it on a piece of plastic should be no prob. Used it on model cars before.

Auto Transport Service
Back