• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remove voltage regulator?

71Charger!

Local time
6:43 AM
Reaction score
1971 charger.
If I upgrade the alternator to one with an internal regulator, do I need the voltage regulator on the firewall or is it totally eliminated (bypassed) from the electrical system?

1971 charger.
If I upgrade the alternator to one with an internal regulator, do I need the voltage regulator on the firewall or is it totally eliminated (bypassed) from the electrical system?
Not sure on that one cant wait to see the comments.

Don't need it, it can be removed when using internal regulated alternator.

you wouln't need the regulator or the green wire field. Should need just the blue wire field if the internal regulator is externaly excited. If internally excited, you won't need either of the fields

Hi 71. I'm interested in how you handled your regulator issue. I've installed a Powermaster one wire also. There is a dark blue wire with a white stripe that leads from the regulator to the ignition switch and then on to a terminal in the dash that the wiring diagram labels as "gauge feed". What the hay? I'm afraid to remove that wire but its connected to the regulator. Did your 71 have this wire? What'd you do? Did you also completely remove your ballast restistor? Thanks!

Hi 71. I'm interested in how you handled your regulator issue. I've installed a Powermaster one wire also. There is a dark blue wire with a white stripe that leads from the regulator to the ignition switch and then on to a terminal in the dash that the wiring diagram labels as "gauge feed". What the hay? I'm afraid to remove that wire but its connected to the regulator. Did your 71 have this wire? What'd you do? Did you also completely remove your ballast restistor? Thanks!

Just tape up the two field wires to the old alternator, INDEPENDENTLY AND NOT GROUNDED, and leave them in the harness (for future use by the next owner) AND just leave the existing regulator in place with wires intact (again for future use by the next owner). IF the ignition system is origional, the ballast resistor must be left in place and functional. If I were the next owner, I would revert back to everything origional and remove the Powermaster system.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back