• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Heads with Engine still in car

Chargered

Local time
9:47 PM
Reaction score
Anybody have experience with pulling the heads with the engine still in the car. Any challenges or problems to be aware of. I suspect I might have some worn valve guides
and am considering pulling the heads to get some work done, but don't really want to pull the engine out of the car.

Get a 'factory service manual',
for all the procedures & torque specs etc.

No big deal, it's commonplace & it's done all the time
most will rarely pull the whole engine for just a head replacement
or repairs

make sure to protect the fenders/paint etc., take your time

take photos if need be

label stuff, with tape or something
if you don't know where or what it is

it may help in reassembly

good luck

I've done it several times...and while pulling the engine obviously makes it easier, doing it with the engine in the car isn't that bad.
I personally like to get the coolant level down as much as possible so I don't spill a bunch of it into the cylinders...so after draining from the radiator, I'll use a funnel and hose and open the block's coolant drain ports (one on each side). Then, once the heads are off, I use my shop vac (filter removed of course) to suck out as much coolant as i can through the deck's cooling ports.
After that, it's really no big deal...aside from the back aches!

Only thing I will add is if you have stock manifolds use some penatrating oil / spray the day before.

Pretty standard stuff. It's awkward though - don't hurt your back.

Absolutely no need to pull engine, usually only an exhaust bolt/nut will give you some minor difficulty, all-in-all an easy job.

Make sure to zip off the nuts and bolts with an air gun!

Just kidding, don’t do that.

The heads are heavy as sin, and you will not be in the best position for lifting them. That is why you need to protect your fenders with something similar to a moving blanket. Also, as others have mentioned, the positioning puts a huge strain on your back. Work slowly and carefully. It is not that hard of a job.
P.S. - make sure you keep your rocker shaft and arms together. You don't want to mix them up. Same with pushrods. I always use a piece of heavy cardboard and mark the cylinder numbers and intake or exhaust. I just cut a small "X" and push them into the cardboard.

Well now that you mentioned it. It really is not uncommon and not that difficult. Protect the car, take your time, keep things clean, organized, take precautions to not drop things in the motor and pictures help. Nowadays make sure you have all your gaskets etc. before you tear it down. I took the heads off the Hemi this spring and I am still waiting for parts. I did manage to get other projects done though.

Engine Hoist helps!

20210720_212912.jpg

20210809_132556.jpg

20210809_153838.jpg

If it hasn't been done, while there replace the timing chain/gears.
Removing the heads is actually quite easy...barring rusted bolts.

Auto Transport Service
Back