• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing tach drive gear in Prestolite/MP distributor

I would install the cable to seal off the tach drive, then mask off the cable housing, old dist cap, mask the seal at the bottom of the cap, and a good plug in the gear end.

I use cap plugs with a bit of tape on them to protect the opening (shh trade secret)
So, I proceeded to the solvent tank after freeze plug removal and got it all cleaned up with a final blast of brake cleaner. Wow. The old grease was more like glue. The gear drive moved effortlessly spinning in the bore. As you can now see after solvent clean that the assembly is an interference/press fit between the drive stem and the gear. See 2nd photo. I could not resist the urge to grit blast, so I cap plugged everything and proceeded to the cabinet. I blew grit past the plugs into the drive. I know, Jenious, right!? Wish I'd stayed on the internets long enough to catch HALIFAXHOPS' trade secret to wrap tape around each cap plug for tighter fit. So, I have a press and some 1" diameter thin wall tubing. I don't trust my multiple floodings with brake cleaner and air nozzle removed all the residual grit. I'll post my results later.
View attachment 768896 View attachment 768897 View attachment 768898
So, I made some more progress today and glad I did. Important to note I had the right tool with a benchtop press and did not injure myself or damage the components. There was residual grit stuck to tar that was once grease. The grit would probably have stayed glued to the old grease, buy why take a chance?
IMG_7052.JPG
IMG_7053.JPG
IMG_7054.JPG

Looks great! Just put some grease on the fatter part of the tach drive shaft when assembling it.

I've had to blast hundreds of parts, mostly pistons. Prefer glass bead. Even with that, grit is hard to clean out. Something like that housing, I'd rather chemical de-rust it. But, that's just my way.

Hey, Halifaxhops. Found my old can of mag grease, the one I mentioned. Bendix is the brand, as in magnetos.

Cool I do remember that stuff. Might even have some somewhere! Shop is a mess between re doing a cuda, 20 sun machines, the dart not running and a ton of meters around and getting ready for Carlisle!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I use a ultrasonic cleaner after blasting, not a usual tool, works great with a bit of dawn @ 50 or so Celsius to get all the grit out, but I do them all the time.

Auto Transport Service
Back