• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repainted the Engine, lots of fun and games

66 Sat

Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
My engine builder decided on orange when he repainted my poly stroker.
It was red when I dropped it off.
Last weekend I decided to repaint it red and spruce up the rocker covers while I there.
This was before
20230812_090339.jpg

I removed everything that was easy and got to painting.
20230812_153238.jpg

20230812_165353.jpg

Everything was going well, all done in a few hours, time to re-assemble everything....
Stripped a bolt at the back of the intake that doubles as a hold down for the kickdown/throttle bracket.
Had to buy a helicoil kit to repair, and had to remove the distributor to get access with a drill. This was getting fun.
20230816_133832.jpg

Finally got it all back together. Got the distributor in roughly the right place, took it for a warm up and then went to set the timing.

20230816_153908.jpg

20230816_153121.jpg

Left the timing light on the fender for a moment, it fell into the fan and made a bit of a mess.
Once I'd unwapped all the wire from the pulleys there was no damage to the car so that's good. Cheap job haha.
$10 for paint.
$115 for helicoil kit and cutting oil
$50 for a new timing light probably, I'll buy one on the weekend.
Engine looks good though, just need to touch up a few bits.
20230816_150504.jpg
20230816_150517.jpg

Sorry to hear about the timing light.....sh*t happens I guess.

Motor looks better now that it's not Chebby orange. :thumbsup:
I'll bet it hurt buying the helicoil set - they cost around $120 here (last time I bought one).

I wasn't expecting to spend anything more than the paint for sure, but it was sort of enjoyable fixing it.
The poly valve covers have such detail I thought I'd try something different
20230816_090853.jpg

Good looking engine bay right there man. Making Mopars better :thumbsup:

This sort of thing is what makes for mini-adventures with these cars. Fun!
I'll let Chevy Chase express my opinion of your work:

Can anyone name the movie? :)

Looks good, I give you credit for going through all that work. Me, I would've told the engine builder to repaint it the correct color that he got it.

This sort of thing is what makes for mini-adventures with these cars. Fun!
I'll let Chevy Chase express my opinion of your work:

Can anyone name the movie? :)

While I did know the movie , it's printed on the link! Lots of great scenes

Looks good, I give you credit for going through all that work. Me, I would've told the engine builder to repaint it the correct color that he got it.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

special insructions should be given to the machine shop/builder to NOT paint the engine.......it wont be prepped properly, primer wont be used, and it will fail......... leaving behind a huge mess in all the nooks and crannies....... AMHIK

Nice, air cleaner is sweet!

Things always take longer and cost more than expected.
I painted my 318 poly with the correct Chrysler paint, sometimes it looks orange, sometimes it looks red.

20190511_155121.jpg

20190511_155128.jpg

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

special insructions should be given to the machine shop/builder to NOT paint the engine.......it wont be prepped properly, primer wont be used, and it will fail......... leaving behind a huge mess in all the nooks and crannies....... AMHIK
Absolutely, but he had it painted anyway.

Auto Transport Service
Back