• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repairing 64 wagon rear interior wheel well covers

That looks like a good way to fix it. Does it look like it will stay and not come loose? I found it hard to keep the right pressure on some of the contours until it was cured.

I think so. But I guess only time will tell.

I found it hard to keep the right pressure on some of the contours until it was cured.
That was a challenge. As you can tell from the photos it isn't perfect, especially the one area that appears to have a peak running about 12 inches from front to back.

Dude, for what you did those turned out nice! I used to do vinyl and leather repair and I couldn't get them that good on the first shot!
Basically. I'm putting the epoxy on the back side as opposed to the top. But I'm hoping to have similar results.
Hopefully there was enough goop that leaked out to help seal any gaps, which it looks like it did? Good Luck

Boy, I count my blessings as the rear wagon area parts are impossible to find. I'm fortunate that the cargo section of my wagon somehow survived the ravages of time.

P1040183.JPG P1040184.JPG

So, with the driver's side turning out decent I'm now planning to tackle the passenger's side. I'll see what the weather is like this evening when I get home and if it's not too cold I'll probably get started on it.

I finally got around to working on the passenger's side. We had a couple of warm days, which were perfect for moving the old plastic around and getting it into place. There are way more cracks and such on the passenger's side, so I decided to do it in two phases.

IMG_3597.JPG

IMG_4468.JPG

Not as good as the other side, but better than it was before:
IMG_4489.JPG

Just a thought but if you can get them back into reasonable shape you could use them and make a fiberglass mold, then you could use that to make yourself some new ones. Its time consuming but not all that hard.

Just found this post. The ones on my wife's 65 Belvedere wagon need a little repair. They are not too bad. I'm going to try the Gorilla tape and see what happens.

Here’s my 2 cents. I would take what you have, clean up and scuff up the back side and laminate 2 layere (at least) of fiberglass and mat on the rear for reinforcement. Might have to research what would be the best resin to use that adheres to the plastic. Then grind and shape the cracks and humps on the topside to contour. Buy one of the plastic repair epoxies to fill in low areas or cracks to get a relatively smooth surface. Then buy a can of SEM 39853 texture restorer to recreate the grain pattern. It helps the very lightly sand the texture after drying to flatten the peaks to more closely represent embossed grain. Then dye with a vinyl elastomeric paint to match. A lot of work.

Thanks for the info AR67GTX.
These old cars always seem like they are a lot of work. But they're worth it.

Do you know of you have anyone that is doing 3D printing? I have zero clue as to what that would cost but they would be exact replicas and you would have a cad file to share with others for a small fee perhaps...

Post some photos of what you have Timmayy. I'm interested to see how it goes.
I will soon enough. I have to finish the rear axle first. That thing is fighting me at every turn. These kids watch TV shows and think it's easy. They really don't know what it's like working on a 50 year old car.

Awesome. Sorry to hear about your struggles with the rear axle. Don't mess up that cool painting you did on the dif cover!

"hey guys! Want to have some fun?"
(guys): "Heck yeah! We're always down for some fun"
"Lets work on a 50 year old car!"
(guys): "Heck yeah! That would be awesome!"
*turns some wrenches, checks air pressure in paint gun (psst-psst) paints body components, turns some more wrenches, drinks a couple of beers*
Car is finished...
"Whew that was awesome! And look! It only took us 23 minutes!"
:thumbsup:

Reviving a two year old thread here, but I figured I might as well share with y'all.
I was able to purchase a set of used inner fender covers from member Parts Stalker. I had them refurbished by a local guy and then installed them. They aren't perfect, which is great because we use this car and I wouldn't want to be worried about having to use kid gloves in the back seat.

IMG_9299.JPG
IMG_9449.JPG
IMG_9450.JPG

Really pleased with the way it turned out.

Auto Transport Service
Back