• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing clutch

69XMan

Local time
6:00 AM
Reaction score
Hello, I’m starting a project to replace my clutch and flywheel in 69 Plymouth GTX. Original 440 motor with what I think is a 4 speed A833 out of a 68 Roadrunner. Anyone have any tips or guidance on the process?

I can’t find any videos on YouTube of this happening in the car. I have a general idea of the steps but don’t want to do anything I don’t have to.

Here are the steps I’m considering:
Detach boot from shifter
Pull drive shaft out
Unhook reverse wire and speedometer.
Loosen bolts on transmission
Support transmission with jack
Take off a cross member
Pull transmission back and down
Remove clutch and flywheel
Remove pilot bushing
Then go in reverse to put new stuff on.

I don’t know the spline count and diameter of flywheeel so waiting to see before ordering parts.

What am I missing? Probably a lot.

IMG_7168.jpeg

You're missing the Factory Service Manual. Call Brewer's for any parts you need.

Get the flywheel cut while it's out, don't skimp on this unless you like doing the work twice. Don't use Reman clutch items, disc/pressure plate, again unless you like doing it twice. On your components, try to get them as a package. Disc/pressure plate/throw out bearing/pilot bearing. There are different throw out bearing assemblies depending on what pressure plate you use. Borg and Beck[ factory] or diaphragm[ aftermarket like Centerforce etc]. The bearing assemblies are different lengths depending on which is used.

Last edited:
Support back of engine before loosening trans or trans crossmember. You can download a 69 Charger service manual at this website. The process is no different car to car, 69 may have some lockout linkage. A PC and a printer you can print pages.
Service Manuals – MyMopar

Support back of engine before loosening trans or trans crossmember. You can download a 69 Charger service manual at this website. The process is no different car to car, 69 may have some lockout linkage. A PC and a printer you can print pages.
Service Manuals – MyMopar
Shouldn’t be any reverse lockout linkage, that started in 70.

Last edited:
Decide if want to reuse z bar and linkage or go to a hydraulic throw out, definitely need to know which trans you have. Can’t get clutch etc until know this. 18 spline hemi trans input shaft is larger than 23 spline regular trans. Take pictures of everything before you touch it and as you go. That way will know which way for example the shifter rods go back in.
Harbor freight makes a small red trans Jack for about 99 bucks. Very helpful. A833 trans are VERY heavy. Have help.

Get the flywheel cut while it's out, don't skimp on this unless you like doing the work twice. Don't use Reman clutch items, disc/pressure plate, again unless you like doing it twice. On your components, try to get them as a package. Disc/pressure plate/throw out bearing/pilot bearing. There are different throw out bearing assemblies depending on what pressure plate you use. Borg and Beck[ factory] or diaphragm[ aftermarket like Centerforce etc]. The bearing assemblies are different lengths depending on which is used.
Thank you. I think I’ll take your advice on a package.

Decide if want to reuse z bar and linkage or go to a hydraulic throw out, definitely need to know which trans you have. Can’t get clutch etc until know this. 18 spline hemi trans input shaft is larger than 23 spline regular trans. Take pictures of everything before you touch it and as you go. That way will know which way for example the shifter rods go back in.
Harbor freight makes a small red trans Jack for about 99 bucks. Very helpful. A833 trans are VERY heavy. Have help.
I bought the $99 one from Harbor Freight. I’ll do some research on hydraulic throw out. I’ll make sure to take pictures. Will I have to mess with the shifter rods?

Can I just shove some rags in?
I like to shove a bunch of rags around the seal then slip a plastic bag over the whole mess and zip tie it around the the tail shaft.
You will still get a little leakage but not much. It's not that difficult. Your punch list above covers the basics. Easier with two guys. When I was younger I did several by myself without a tranny jack.
Take your time and think. Getting it out is easier than putting the tranny back in. Make sure you have good pilot shaft when you install the new clutch. Most kits come with a plastic one.
You got this. Go for it. The gurus on here will cover you if you get stuck.

Last edited:
After U pull the parts out, be sure and do a couple maintenance things..
1. Relube the Z-bar bearings
2. Swap out the pilot bushing for the roller bearing
3. Regarding flywheel resurfacing or replacement, it is a must to validate a new clutch warranty

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

Not a fan of the roller bearing pilot here. More moving parts to fail. Bronze bushings have served me well for 40 years.

Well ain't that slick. What the hell is it Dad? It would probably be a little slicker if you didn't have to tie a rag around it.

Oh!!! Rattle can lid!?!?! Canadian ingenuity. :drinks:
Yep, just a paint can lid. Jammed on, taped and a rag for good measure.

I like to shove a bunch of rags around the seal then slip a plastic bag over the whole mess and zip tie it around the the tail shaft.
You will still get a little leakage but not much. It's not that difficult. Your punch list above covers the basics. Easier with two guys. When I was younger I did several by myself without a tranny jack.
Take your time and think. Getting it out is easier than putting the tranny back in. Make sure you have good pilot shaft when you install the new clutch. Most kits come with a plastic one.
You got this. Go for it. The gurus on here will cover you if you get stuck.
Thank you for the encouragement.

After doing some research I’m going to stick to stock for the throw out bearing. I can certainly see the benefits of hydraulic.

There was so much good advice here I am tempted to change my clutch now, too!

Auto Transport Service
Back