• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sudden clutch pedal freeplay

Unkwilly

Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what could cause a sudden increase in clutch pedal freeplay? 1964 Dodge Polara-A833 with less than 2000 miles on new clutch. Happened when I was stuck in stop and go traffic for probably 10-15 minutes creeping up hill. Was still able to shift and get it home. Adjusted the freeplay, but now getting some shuddering when letting the pedal out on takeoff. Not detecting any slipping, shifts fine through the gears. Clutch linkage all seems tight. Took the z-bar assy apart and the bearings are fine. Took the flywheel inspection cover off and can't see or feel anything obviously wrong.

Maybe check the pedal side of things- the pivot and the bracket?

What kind of new clutch did you install?
Sounds like your pressure plate failed/is failing.
Also, did you check the z bar for interior wear- where the bushings are located. Check for sloppiness and if the ends are egg shaped.
Shuddering is a sign of a few things:
Contaminated disc
Warped flywheel
Pressure plate springs
Good luck, but it sounds like the clutch has to come out to verify.

Pivot, especially if you have a heavier than stock pressure plate

Pivot, especially if you have a heavier than stock pressure plate
I couldn't feel any play at the pivot, but took the z-bar apart and the bearings look ok. Since the loss of freeplay was so sudden, if that is where the problem is doesn't it seem like that would feel loose?

I couldn't feel any play at the pivot, but took the z-bar apart and the bearings look ok. Since the loss of freeplay was so sudden, if that is where the problem is doesn't it seem like that would feel loose?
I’ve had them break and bend. The fork will stay clipped in to the throw out bearing so it might be hard to tell without taking it apart.
Last time I reinforced it with a gusset.

What kind of new clutch did you install?
Sounds like your pressure plate failed/is failing.
Also, did you check the z bar for interior wear- where the bushings are located. Check for sloppiness and if the ends are egg shaped.
Shuddering is a sign of a few things:
Contaminated disc
Warped flywheel
Pressure plate springs
Good luck, but it sounds like the clutch has to come out to verify.,
Not sure about the kind of clutch, it was installed before I got the car. Couldn't feel any sloppiness, but did take the z-bar apart and the bushings seem ok. Nothing obvious looking at what I could see of the disc and flywheel. I'm afraid you are right about it needing to come out.

Can anyone tell me what could cause a sudden increase in clutch pedal freeplay? 1964 Dodge Polara-A833 with less than 2000 miles on new clutch. Happened when I was stuck in stop and go traffic for probably 10-15 minutes creeping up hill. Was still able to shift and get it home. Adjusted the freeplay, but now getting some shuddering when letting the pedal out on takeoff. Not detecting any slipping, shifts fine through the gears. Clutch linkage all seems tight. Took the z-bar assy apart and the bearings are fine. Took the flywheel inspection cover off and can't see or feel anything obviously wrong.
I drove my Dart in a parade and ended up going home shortly after to adjust it. The pedal went away. I adjust the air gap between the bearing and the fingers. It's always perfect.

I drove my Dart in a parade and ended up going home shortly after to adjust it. The pedal went away. I adjust the air gap between the bearing and the fingers. It's always perfect.
Yeah, It took quite a bit of adjustment, but I was able to adjust the free play. Shifts fine through the gears, but
getting a slight shudder when I let the clutch out on take off.

I have seen the rounded ball end of the Z-bar break, especially where it screws into the bell housing...
Due to the incorrect Z-Bar that has misalighnment of the fork push rod, misalighnment causes extreme pressure on the Z-Bar. as the push rod motion is not linear... Issue is when the push rod tab welded on the Z-Bar is incorrect for that specific car, just because the Z-Bar's have equal width the push rod tab is different. I recall there are (3) Z-Bars used by Mopar, all being the same width but each having different mounting tab alighnment..

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back