• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing inner front wheel bearings

The bearing seals were missing and I remember seeing signs of wear. They felt fine the last time I drove the car, twenty years ago, but since I've rebuilt and upgraded the suspension I'm going to put new bearings in while I'm at it.
Bearings and races. Make sure you get a race and seal driver to drive the races in without damage.

The bearing seals were missing and I remember seeing signs of wear. They felt fine the last time I drove the car, twenty years ago, but since I've rebuilt and upgraded the suspension I'm going to put new bearings in while I'm at it.
A bearing has only so much life, by statically sampling and are relatively inexpensive considering your labor and material costs of rebuilding the suspension....IMO...replace the bearings (both the cups and cones + seals) and enjoy the car.....just my opinion...
BOB RENTON

Bearings and races. Make sure you get a race and seal driver to drive the races in without damage.

I bought Timken bearing and race sets.

May or may not need new dust caps. Mine have a few dents in them. I suppose they could get a bit warped and not seal right. I don't think there really is a problem with them.

I think I'll rent O'Reilly's bearing race and seal driver set, and do the job in their parking lot.

Last edited:
I'm doing this job soon on my 72 Charger with 10" front drums. Is there only an inner bearing seal? I don't see a front outer seal on RockAuto or O'reilly's websites.
Only an inner bearing seal. The outside is covered by the bearing cap.

Do they make green bearings for the front I wonder.

The hubs are too small for a "Green(ball bearing) big enough to survive the side load stresses of turning/steering, especially since the majority of the cars weight is over the front axle. This shows you the loading superiority of a tapered/roller bearing as opposed to the Green-ball bearings.

Attachments

• Packing Wheel Bearings.pdf
    251.4 KB · Views: 39
Do they make green bearings for the front I wonder.
giphy-2159355134.gif

What is the advantage of the green ball bearing?

What is the advantage of the green ball bearing?
NONE....if interested, please refer to my previous "dissertations" regarding the Green axle bearings or the arguments rebutting the reasons.....but it depends on the APPLICATION for the bearing, be it a ball bearing, roller bearing, tapered roller bearing, spherical roller bearing and the varients of each type.....a bearing in not just a bearing that can be readily substituted one type for another......
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back