• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing roof 73/74

YY1

Local time
8:39 AM
Reaction score
I found a 73 Charger that has a better body than my 74. Doesn't need frame work, doesn't need rear floor pans, only needs small patches in front floor, and doesn't need full quarters (just sme minor patches).

I sure would like to have my factory sun roof in it though. I figure the labor to swap the roof might be equal or less than all that I just mentioned, plus the seams will be under the vinyl, versus on the quarter.

Any advice on replacing a roof from someone who has done it?

BTW, my body shop wants $50 more than the cost of this car to fix my frame and paint under the hood. Since I dropped it off, I've gained the confidence and tools to do the painting myself, plus I don't think the new find needs it. For the cost savings, I might be able to justify buying a used plasma cutter.

Anyone done roof replacement? Thanks.

Car will be worth less, I would leave it where it is. Buyers seem to be looking for options more then engine CI now, guess because everybody and their brothers and uncles are putting 440's into their car. As I am trying to sell my 70 Cuda, very few care that it is a matching nbrs car, they want to know what options the car has.

You really want that plasma cutter, don't you?
You will justify it somehow, I just know it.

They are both 318 cars.

74 was White with jade green int. Has no motor, has bent inner fender from previous BB install, needs frame fixed where back K frame bolt goes, and rear floor pans, plus fairly extensive work on both quarters.

The 73 I'm going to get on Sat is cream with parchment int. basically needs 4 inch front floor patches, nickel sized holes in fenders patched (74 needs this too) six inch quarter patch on one side, painted and put back together. It's got a running 318.

The 74 has a few more options but is in worse shape. I figure whch ever one ends up nice and shiny with the sunroof will be worth more:)

I did find a thread about replacing a roof skin on a 73 RR. Infomative.

Just my 2 cents, but R&I roof isn't a bad job, usually clean metal to work with. Stripping out both cars will take more time[glass ,interior, etc]. Go to the factory seams to make it straightforward. All options from both will interchange and you have leftovers to sell or swap. Even the scrap from the leftovers will lower the cost of the extra car. If you did the stripping , the bodyshop could probably do the swap for the price of a decent plasma cutter. My advice has always been that the less rust a car has to begin with, the less you have to worrry about showing up later.

Auto Transport Service
Back